cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sg300 - MAC address not valid

duncanunderwood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a sg300 and on boot in the terminal it says. 

MAC address not valid. 

MAC address is not valid you can’t hse multicast or broadcast address. 

I enter whats hats on the sticker on back but keeps saying the error. So the unit is now totally unusable. Tried default reset and even that doesn’t work. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks

dunk

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes I managed to get into it using the terminal. Had to enter a bogus MAC address and revision number. Then it was able to continue the boot up process. I was then able to do a reset as indicated on page 14. Will follow up with checking the version number. 

My question is why did it ask for a MAC address in the first place? Do the sg300s have some kind of battery inside?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

which factory default reset have you tried, the one described on page 14 of the attached guide ?

If you manage to get access, check which firmware you are running, and make sure you have the latest release (1.4.8.06).

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sf30x_sg30x/quick_start/78-19252-01.pdf

Yes I managed to get into it using the terminal. Had to enter a bogus MAC address and revision number. Then it was able to continue the boot up process. I was then able to do a reset as indicated on page 14. Will follow up with checking the version number. 

My question is why did it ask for a MAC address in the first place? Do the sg300s have some kind of battery inside?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco