cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 Routing question

bakerjw
Level 1
Level 1

Good day, all. I am new with VLANs and Cisco equipment and have been running into some minor hurdles configuring an SG300-52 managed switch with 1.4.11.5 FW to do layer 3 routing.

The system mode of the switch has been set to Layer 3.

We are running this switch to handle a handful of isolated test networks in a work lab. i.e. we have a lot of equipment that needs to be able to be tested in a routable environment. It will not be routing to a live network beyond our environment. DHCP is available on all VLANs and DNS is available on VLAN2 at 192.168.0.2

I have configured a handful of VLANs as part of our initial planning. Not all VLANs are connected to live switches or ports at the moment.

image.png

Some of the Port interface settings have been set to Access mode and assigned to VLANs as untagged. The VLAN portion is working very well.

I have configured each VLAN Interface with an IP address as shown x.x.x.4.

Question #1 - Should it be .1?

.1 for a gateway address
.2 for DNS (if present on VLAN. Unused if not.)

.3 for the DHCP server

.4 for the VLAN IP address.

image.png

Question #2. Does the switch know these address ranges or do I need to enter static routes?

Thanks for any guidance.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Question #1 - Should it be .1?

You can use any IP address not necessary to be .1 ( most cases easy to remember stream line we use .1 or .254 address so easy to remmeber)

make sure the Gateway IP exluded from DHCP Scope.

Question #2. Does the switch know these address ranges or do I need to enter static routes?

inside switch not required to have any routing configuration, since you mentioned that Layer 3 routing enabled, every VLAN should be able to communicated inside switch.

Beyond any Layer 3 domain crossing other router, it required static route back to this switch.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @bakerjw ,

1)  the gateway is usually the first or the last unicast address in the subnet. But this is a convention until the DHCP server provides the correct IP address even .4 can be used.  Of course it will look like odd to someone.

2) no you don't need static routes because each VLAN is a connected interface and the device will do inter VLAN routing.

Static routes would be needed on another device to reach the subnets defined on the L3 switch.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card