Views
Helpful
Replies

shift the traffic to retendent link from primary link & vice versa

abhishekm4u
Level 1
Level 1

hi netpros,

i have one senirio. i have one 2 mb link from my telecom office to warehouse on media of other ISP company. The isp company terminate the link on fastethernet of both end routers & make a tunnel on my both end router i.e. office & warehouse. Tunnel source & desination is the both end fastethernet ip's of ISP provided subnet.

till now it is working fine.

now as the warehouse is my single point of failure site. so i have terminate one more link as retendent from office to warehouse on differnet media(not the same ISP) . and this link is terminated on switch of warehouse and switch of office. and these both switches connected to the fastethernet of Both routers.

i want that as soon as my any (or primary) link down the traffice have to shift on retendent link and when down link will up the traffic shift again.

I create the second tunnel on both end for this new link.

i put the backup route eg :"ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Tunnel0 110 " on both end and static route for new link. but the problem occur ; my new tunnel not going down if the link is down.( i made new link as primary). might be bcoz the switch port is up always even the wan link down. (note: new link terminated on switch which is connected to router).

i want to ask what command i put on both end routers that when the wan link is down the tunnel will down and traffic will shift to other tunnel and again came back to when wan link up.

please help....

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Abhishek,

If both the links are dedicated ones, then the ideal way to handle this situation is to run a routing protocol between these two sites.

Then you can do a cost manipulation on both end to prefer the path via the primary link when it is up and use the secondary link during the failure of primary link.

-VJ

View solution in original post

Hi

Do check out for keepalive under the tunnel interface which is required to make the tunnel down once the destination in unreachable.

Also post the config of your router as well as a topological diagram representing the devices/connectivity out there between your locations..

regds

Hi Abhishek

As i have mentioned in my previous mail have you enabled keepalives under the tunnel interfaces ?

Also as mentioned so post out the config of the routers here..

regds

7 Replies 7

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Abhishek,

If both the links are dedicated ones, then the ideal way to handle this situation is to run a routing protocol between these two sites.

Then you can do a cost manipulation on both end to prefer the path via the primary link when it is up and use the secondary link during the failure of primary link.

-VJ

Hi

Do check out for keepalive under the tunnel interface which is required to make the tunnel down once the destination in unreachable.

Also post the config of your router as well as a topological diagram representing the devices/connectivity out there between your locations..

regds

please find the diagram !

Hi Abhishek

As i have mentioned in my previous mail have you enabled keepalives under the tunnel interfaces ?

Also as mentioned so post out the config of the routers here..

regds

thanks spremkumar its working now !

i put keepalive 10 3 (10 for seconds & 3 for tries) on tunnel . now tunnel1 going down as soon as destination goes down. and traffice is shifting to secondary and again came to primary link as destination is up !!!

thanks a lot.

and special thanks to vijayasankar & hirentailor for there reply post. i think the routing protocol enable also a solution!!!

hi vijay,

can u tell how i put routing protocol RIP on specific interface. means i used static routing on current interface. can u please tell some command example. & also tell is any command that routing protocol works on specific interface..

hirentailor
Level 1
Level 1

If keepalive is set on tunnel ?

If tunnel shows down after putting keepalive then check for IOS version or configure ip tracker.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card