Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple question from a total novice

jamesgirvan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could help me out. I've been tasked with setting up a new branch office that will be on a different subnet to the existing branch office and a different subnet to the HQ site. (Before I go on I'll point out that I am a complete novice) I'll illustrate our ip scheme below to clarify:

HQ: 172.8.x.x (Cisco 800 series for Internet and 1700 series to connect to Branch1, 2600 series to connect to New Branch)

Branch1: 172.10.x.x (800 Series for Internet and 1700 series to connect to HQ)

NewBranch: 172.6.x.x (No Internet router as yet, 2621 to connect to HQ)

So when I set up the 2600 series at either side of the link to New Branch, will I need to add to the routing tables on the existing routers at our HQ?

I'm assuming I will because the Default Gateway adress for hosts at the HQ is the address of the Internet router.

This probably doesn't make much sense but if someone could give me an overview of how this setup would work I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

James

5 Replies 5

sspangle
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you will add a route in the HQ 2600 for 172.6.x.x to the 2621. You will just need a default route in the 2621 to the 2600 since the new branch is acting like a stub network.

I would suggest moving to a simple routing protocol like EIGRP. If for no other reason than to dynamically fail over to branch 1's Inet connection in case your HQ Inet goes down...

Regards,

Steve

www.networking-forum.com

Thanks for your quick reply! I take it I'll also need to add a default route to the Internet router at the HQ because the internal interface on this is the default gateway for all hosts on the HQ network? Would you say this is a pretty simple configuration to do?

Correct, you will need a default route in the 2600 to the HQ 800. I think it's a very simple configuration. Post here, at my forum, or send me an e-mail if you need help with it.

Regards,

Steve

www.networking-forum.com

Wow! I never expected such a great response. I really appreciate your help, Steve. I might well be in touch over the coming week or so!

Thanks again!

James

Hello again,

managed to get the intersite link configured with your help! But, I've got another problem!

Just had a new ATM leased line installed which is terminated into a 3825. For the time being I just want to sit a PC behind the 3825 and set a ping going to a location on the Internet to test the reliability of the circuit, etc

The problem is that I've set the default gateway on the PC as the internal interface on te 3825 which is running an address on the same subnet as the PC. I can ping anything from the router console, but I cannot ping further than the outside interface of the router from the PC.

I assumed that I would just need a default route to the next hop which is a router at the ISP,but I'm really struggling. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

James

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card