Views
Helpful
Replies

SMB router, multiple ASDL's

Ciscorn23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am looking to install new Cisco router to replace old network which has got 4 ADSL connection, going to 4 different routers.

What I want to achieve is to have one router, which is capable of having up to 4 ADSL connections, 78mbps each and load balance vlans per link.

As I'm not looking into spending thousands, I've had a brief look on Cisco website and I found some cool routers.

Cisco 1921 and Cisco 1941, both of them have expansion slots etc.

Would they support 4 ADSL connections?

I've had a look, but can't find an answer.

All the best!

18 Replies 18

Hello,

Hmm, ISR with 4 slots could perhaps do the job because I have 5 active ADSL lines in total. 4 ADSL HWICS and the fifth ADSL line would first go the the modem and then built-in ethernet port. If so, which router would you recommend for this and which module part would that be?

You mentioned - If I am going to use the modems provided by my ISP and use the router for just routing, then no DSL HWICs will be required. In my scenario, modems simply convert the R11 cable to R45 and nothing else. The router still have to authenticate with the ADSL credentials like username@bt.com and password to establish the conncitivity. If I would use the modems just to convert the cable and then plug all converted ADSL lines to EWIC on the router, could I configure so that the router authenticates on each interface or do I need ADSL hwic for that?

I would perfer to avoid with having so much extra equipment.

Anybody? :)

Ok, I was thinking about this and I believe it might actually work in one of the two scenarios below:

a) A 1941 router with its 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces and a regular 8-port switch.

- One cable from each DSL modem, and one cable from the router Gi0/0 port, all connected to the switch;

- At Gi0/0, one subinterface for each DSL modem, with its own network address segment between the subinterface and the DSL modem;

- A PPPoE session for each subinterface;

- The default route with each Dialup interface as a next hop;

b) A 1941 router with a 4-port EWIC.

- One cable from each DSL modem to each port of the EWIC, and the last DSL modem to one of the "onboard" Ethernet ports;

- Each Ethernet interface on the router with its own network address segment between the interface and the DSL modem;

- A PPPoE session for each interface;

- The default route with each Dialup interface as a next hop;

In theory, this should work. Now, I still would, however, get some more inputs on this design - as I have never done something like this and was unable to simulate the output the way I like, I might have mislooked something. Get this with a grain of salt.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi a 1941 only supports around 150mb throughput without encryption set or any heavy services,in real world you wont get near that ,if your looking to put 4x78mb adsl circuits in it you need something bigger 3900 series or asr routers , i think the 3945s  can support around 500mb throughput

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card