match ip dscp cs3

policy-map simple-qos

class rtp

set ip dscp cs3

priority percent 70

class signal

set ip dscp cs5

bandwidth percent 5

I run the command show policy-map interface multilink1 (the interface its set on)

Service-policy output: simple-qos

Class-map: rtp (match-any)

26104 packets, 2956252 bytes

5 minute offered rate 9000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: ip dscp cs3 (24)

26104 packets, 2956252 bytes

5 minute rate 9000 bps

QoS Set

dscp cs3

Packets marked 26104

Queueing

Strict Priority

Output Queue: Conversation 264

Bandwidth 70 (%)

Bandwidth 4300 (kbps) Burst 107500 (Bytes)

(pkts matched/bytes matched) 168/23716

(total drops/bytes drops) 0/0

Class-map: signal (match-any)

2133 packets, 1818542 bytes

5 minute offered rate 16000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: ip dscp cs5 (40)

2133 packets, 1818542 bytes

5 minute rate 16000 bps

QoS Set

dscp cs5

Packets marked 2133

Queueing

Output Queue: Conversation 265

Bandwidth 5 (%)

Bandwidth 307 (kbps)Max Threshold 64 (packets)

(pkts matched/bytes matched) 15/11107

(depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

dscp    Transmitted      Random drop      Tail drop    Minimum Maximum  Mark

pkts/bytes       pkts/bytes       pkts/bytes    thresh  thresh  prob

af11       0/0               0/0              0/0           32      40  1/10

af12       0/0               0/0              0/0           28      40  1/10

af13       0/0               0/0              0/0           24      40  1/10

af21       0/0               0/0              0/0           32      40  1/10

af22       0/0               0/0              0/0           28      40  1/10

af23       0/0               0/0              0/0           24      40  1/10

af31       0/0               0/0              0/0           32      40  1/10

af32       0/0               0/0              0/0           28      40  1/10

af33       0/0               0/0              0/0           24      40  1/10

af41       0/0               0/0              0/0           32      40  1/10

af42       0/0               0/0              0/0           28      40  1/10

af43       0/0               0/0              0/0           24      40  1/10

cs1       0/0               0/0              0/0           22      40  1/10

cs2       0/0               0/0              0/0           24      40  1/10

cs3       0/0               0/0              0/0           26      40  1/10

cs4       0/0               0/0              0/0           28      40  1/10

cs5       0/0               0/0              0/0           30      40  1/10

cs6     123/9514            0/0              0/0           32      40  1/10

cs7       0/0               0/0              0/0           34      40  1/10

ef  178916/12200070        0/0              0/0           36      40  1/10

rsvp       0/0               0/0              0/0           36      40  1/10

default  472679/71233103        0/0              0/0           20      40  1/10

If im reading correctly, the policy map is matching cs3/cs5 packets correctly but why don't I see them being calculated under transmitted packets? I also see that cs6/ef packets are being calculated, does that mean packets with dscp set to ef/cs6 are being transmitted outbound by this interface?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Since the complete policy map and show policy results aren't posted, but from what you have posted (2nd posting helped - thanks) . . .

"If im reading correctly, the policy map is matching cs3/cs5 packets  correctly but why don't I see them being calculated under transmitted  packets? I also see that cs6/ef packets are being calculated, does that  mean packets with dscp set to ef/cs6 are being transmitted outbound by  this interface?"

. . . I believe the answers to your questions are:

The transmitted stats are probably from random-detect (DSCP) in the class-default.  If correct, those stats would only apply to packets in this (default) class.  As your two other classes have already "snagged" cs3 and cs5, would be why they wouldn't show in these stats.

Yes, it appears CS6 and EF packets are being transmitted out your interface.  CS6 is likely for routing control packets (running any dynamic routing protocol?).  EF marked packets might be VoIP bearer packets (what's CS3 or CS5 used by - any VoIP signally?).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You've listed the complete policy and all the show policy output?  Reason I ask, from your output, it almost looks like you should have an explicit class-default with DSCP based WRED.

BTW, why are you setting ToS to the same DSCP you matched the packet on?

What platform and IOS is this?

No its not the complete policy only because I edited out some information, if you need to see that as well here it is:

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

651718 packets, 83442687 bytes

5 minute offered rate 442000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: any

Queueing

Flow Based Fair Queueing

Maximum Number of Hashed Queues 256

(total queued/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

exponential weight: 9

It was someones previous config, why they made it like that I'm not sure, I plan to change it around to just match cs3/cs5 not match and then set to the same DSCP.

Platform is on 1841 router IOS 12.4(25f)

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Since the complete policy map and show policy results aren't posted, but from what you have posted (2nd posting helped - thanks) . . .

"If im reading correctly, the policy map is matching cs3/cs5 packets  correctly but why don't I see them being calculated under transmitted  packets? I also see that cs6/ef packets are being calculated, does that  mean packets with dscp set to ef/cs6 are being transmitted outbound by  this interface?"

. . . I believe the answers to your questions are:

The transmitted stats are probably from random-detect (DSCP) in the class-default.  If correct, those stats would only apply to packets in this (default) class.  As your two other classes have already "snagged" cs3 and cs5, would be why they wouldn't show in these stats.

Yes, it appears CS6 and EF packets are being transmitted out your interface.  CS6 is likely for routing control packets (running any dynamic routing protocol?).  EF marked packets might be VoIP bearer packets (what's CS3 or CS5 used by - any VoIP signally?).

Makes sense, I didn't think about that.

I didn't notice dynamic routing but it doesn't mean theres not some stale configuration in there, I'll have to check.

Yes CS3 is used for RTP and CS5 for Signaling on our network, which is what led me to wonder where all the EF tagged traffic is coming from. I suspect something configured incorrectly. Nothing some wireshark and a mirrored port can't find.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card