Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT won't clear

Gregg Hughes
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon, all!

I want to change a NAT translation on my 2911 router.  When I enter the "no ip nat translation inside static a.b.c.d D.E.F.G" the router asks if I want to delete child records.  I say "yes", and the router then tells me "Error: static entry still in use, cannot remove."  Answering "no" doesn't help; the router refuses to delete the NAT.

After some googling, I find that I can either remove translation from the interface, thereby nuking all NAT connections to that interface, or drill down into "clear ip nat translations" and force clear the NAT translations for the internal/external address pairs. 

When working my way down the command chain I could not get the translation to clear; the router claimed that the translation was not dynamic and refused to clear that NAT. 

I didn't see any option for distinguishing between static and dynamic NATs in the command chain.  Did I miss something along the way?  Is there a way to clear just the one NAT pairing without shooting all connections?  In view of the router's response to the single NAT, would "clear ip nat translations *" work anyway?

Vital statistics:  IOS version is 15.1, the router is a 2911 with 512 MB RAM, and there's only one interface pair.

Thanks in advance!

Gregg

1 Reply 1

pnalamwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gregg,

Looks to me as a IOS bug.  I would suggest to do a IOS upgrade to the latest code .

Regards

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card