Views
Helpful
Replies

Static Route - Unable to add to router

MarquezHB00
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 3 routers connected on which I ran IP OSPF 1 Area 0 command and they all worked fine as I am able to ping from each computer connected to the router through a Switch. 

I decided to removed OSPF from all interfaces using NO IP OSPF command and proceeded to set static route on each individual router by stating what LAN to reach out of a given interface ex. ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 Gi0/0

I am only able to set static route on 2 of the routers which allows me to ping one LAN to the other but when I proceed to add a new static route 2 of the 3 routers will go through the process but when I go to see the static route they are not shown nor can I ping one LAN to the other as I expect after adding the new Static Route.

Some help on why this can be?

Ps. I have started a new equal topology on which I added the static routes to the 3 routers and they work fine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

that is when you do not have IP address assigned to interface;  u will see "Internet Protocol Processing Disable"

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

perhaps u made a typo when typing the command Or command was not accepted because it  was not correct; router should give u message, didn't it?

OSPF does not have anything to do with manually adding static routes -even if u do not remove ospf configs. find table with default ADs for protocols, Static routes AD is 1 where as  OSPF default is 110. lower one is preferred so router would choose static route anyway (there are some restriction or dependencies)

Regards, ML

Hi Martin,

I did receive the message that states "Default route without gateway, if not point-to-point interface, may impact performance"

I do receive the same message when I set static route on any other router and then I am able to see the static route on routing table but in this case I do not see it.

I even tried resenting the entire interface by running default interface command on it but nothing.

Thanks for your reply

MarquezHB00
Level 1
Level 1

I forgot to mention I am using Packet Tracer latest version

Hello,

post the Packet Tracer project file (.pkt) as a zipped file...

I thought so;  PT has bugs for some advanced stuff (or not bug but some advanced stuff is simplified)

see https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/8651-21.html

you must know the order which is 1. prefix length (aka mask or /), 2. AD, 3. Metric

Regards, ML

Guys, 

I just found out after typing "show ip interfaces" that the interfaces I am having trouble with on those routers read "Internet Protocol Processing Disable"

I will have to enable them back on I am pretty sure! 

that is when you do not have IP address assigned to interface;  u will see "Internet Protocol Processing Disable"

Regards, ML

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card