cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static routes not working in Cisco Packet Tracer (Request timed out)?

Matt N
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Sorry to bother you all, but I've been trying to configure a network in Cisco Packet Tracer, and while I have assembled all of the necessary components, my static routes do not appear to be working. Even though I think I programmed them correctly, as they show up when I type in "show ip route" in the Master Router CLI tab, and packets are sending fine to other components connected to the same switch, I cannot seem to get packets to send to other parts of the network (for instance, in this case study; if I were on a staff room PC trying to ping another staff room PC, it would work fine, but if I were on a staff room PC trying to ping a student PC or the web server, it wouldn't work); it comes up with "Request timed out" for any pings I try to make to a different part of the network.

Does anyone know what my issue might be? Any help would be much appreciated.

(Also, is there a way I can attach my .pkt file, as I've seen people do it on other questions, but the system doesn't seem to be letting me do it?)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I opened your file, but I don't understand the IP addressing you have configured. The PCs are in subnets that have no corresponding default gateway on the router. You don't need static routes because you have only one router.

So in short, since the below are your interface IP addresses, the PCs need to be in the same subnets, and they default gateway they use need to be those of the corresponding interface IP addresses.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

post your zipped Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file...

Thanks for the tip! You should find the file attached.

Hello,

I opened your file, but I don't understand the IP addressing you have configured. The PCs are in subnets that have no corresponding default gateway on the router. You don't need static routes because you have only one router.

So in short, since the below are your interface IP addresses, the PCs need to be in the same subnets, and they default gateway they use need to be those of the corresponding interface IP addresses.

Ah right; thank you so much!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but are you basically saying that I need to set the default gateway IP addresses for each part of the network as the IP address for the interface within the router (So for instance, the router interface connected to the staff room PCs needs to have its IP address set to the default gateway of the staff room PCs)?

Hello,

to illustrate better what I mean, I have configured the router as DHCP server, and configured all PCs to get an IP address via DHCP.

See the revised file attached...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: