cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static routing and floating

R Manjunatha
Level 3
Level 3

I could not able to ping the Server via ISP 1 and ISP 2 I can if ISP1 links shut down and attached the routing information for your reference 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Server not know how to go return traffic back ?

is the 10.10.10.1 is HSRP IP ? to tell server which one is active  link ? to forward the traffic back ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

no this is a normal floating static and default route, connection b/w two ISPs, ISP1 AD 1 and ISP2 AD 5 

Yes this is normal floating static routes. For the floating route (with higher Administrative Distance) to become active the primary static route (with lower AD) must be withdrawn from the routing table. It is a frequent issue with floating static routes to not work as expected, especially when the primary static is on some type of Ethernet interface. 

The usual thing that makes a static route be withdrawn is either the outbound interface goes into a down state or the next hop address becomes unavailable. When the primary static route is using serial interfaces we frequently get the desired behavior of withdrawing the route because on many serial protocols (HDLC, frame relay, etc) when the neighbor stops responding to layer 2 messages then the interface goes down and the next hop becomes unreachable. However when the primary static route is using some type of Ethernet there are many things that can make the neighbor unreachable, but the interface does not go down and the next hop does not become unreachable. The typical solution for this is to implement tracking with IP SLA which tests for reachability of the neighbor and can withdraw the primary route.

HTH

Rick

". . . Ethernet there are many things that can make the neighbor unreachable, but the interface does not go down and the next hop does not become unreachable."

Just want to add, with Ethernet, neighbor might become unreachable AND next hop is unreachable too.

E.g. router A <Ethernet up> (L2 "cloud" or switch) <Ethernet down> router B

router A would see its interface up but router B would be unreachable.  I.e. again, an example of when a floating static, on router A, will not come into play.

Hello

@R Manjunatha wrote:

I can if ISP1 links shut down 

Looking at your topology i dont see how you gain connectivity if you shut down ISP1 as the server default gateway points to ISP1?
Also as this looks like a PT lab can you attach the PT file for this?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card