cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static weighted route stuck in routing table!!

Russell Stamey
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cable circuit for a customer and a DSL conenction for failover.

I have configured the router to track the default gateway and a DNS server out the primary via SLA ICMP reachability.

I track the primary default route, which should be removed from the routing table once the track fails.

I put a distance of 200 on the backup default route.

The problem is, when the track is up and everything should be normal, I am showing both default routes in the routing table as if it is equal cost load balancing, even though the backup route has a distance of 200.

The tracked route seems to remove once the track goes down, but the backup route should never be in the routing table unless the tracked route is removed.

Cisco IOS Software, C890 Software (C890-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(1)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Anyone ever come across this? I will provide a config once I can make changes tonight.

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please post a 'show ip route' and your config.

Do both the routes have the same subnet mask?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

They are both default routes, 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0. One for the backup, and one for the primary.

The one thing that I am wondering about is the backup PPPoE connection. The IP address is set to 'ip address negotiated'. So would this automatically inject a default route into the routing table if it is receiving the default route from the PPPoE server like DHCP?

If so, I need to be able to put a weight on the route somehow so that it prefers the tracked default route for the primary and not the route it may be receiving from the PPPoE server.

What's the AD of the other route?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I have read that there is no way to set the metric of a default route received via PPPoE. Do you know if this is true?

If so, then this is why I have both routes in my routing table. The primary route with the track statement is in the routing table b/c the track is up, and the backup PPPoE route is in there b/c it has the same metric and there is  no way to set it higher.

Do you know of any workarounds? I have created a route-map to track the primary connection and set a next-hop IP of the default gateway of the primary. When the primary fails, it should no set the next hop and use the other default route.

Not sure how well this will work. I haven't tested the fail-over yet b/c I am waiting on the consultant to make a trip to the location.

Hello

How are you receiving this default routes - IGP/BGP ?

Can you post the routing table output as suggested by Aaron?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card