cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Steps to Change from one ISP info to new ISP Info

jschneiter
Level 1
Level 1

Verizon is changing to Frontier and therefore I have an IP and DNS to change.

I changed the Fast Ethernet to the proper IP and Subnet mask. I also went to Other Tasks and changed the DNS numbers to the ones provided.

The second I do this, no more internet access. I even saved to the startup and rebooted the router.

We are using this connection as a VPN to an office 2.5 hours away. This VPN however is used to just pass 2 way radio traffic. No browsing is done on this device. ( I shouldnt need the DNS numbers ).

Anything im missing to make this work.

IP, DNS, and subnetmask is all I should need right? I didnt see anywhere to provide the gateway. I thought I needed this to make the connection work.

Attached is the modified file!

Thanks

Jon

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are definitely using a gateway with the command:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet4

However, by using the interface name instead of an IP address for the destination, you are relying on ARP for the resolution. If your new ISP has ARP replies disabled, the command above won't work.

Ideally, you need to use the IP address as destination to avoid this issue. Contact your new ISP and demand for the gateway IP address. This information is vital for the router to know where to send the packets to.

Regards,

Edison

I have the Gateway IP address. I just didnt see anywhere in the SDM to set this information. I am relying solely on the SDM for all the programming. Im not about to get into learning IOS. I know how to do the rudimentary commands but thats all I want to tackle.

I am assuming that this is entered under the routing screen of SDM.

Sorry, I don't know how SDM works. I've never used it.

Ethen NY
Level 1
Level 1

1.Check  first if u are able to reach Next Hop.

2.Get your New IP Pool White Listed with the respective teams including ISP and  same from your end.

3.Chck if u r going through a proxy , New DNS should be updated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card