cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subnet question (two or more switches connected to eachother)

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I read this somewhere  "The limitation of subnetting a network with a router is that all devices on that subnet must be connected to the same switch and that switch must be connected to a port on the router."

I thought only routers seperated broadcast domains when only one vlan Is enabled.Why can't I connect one switch to the router and the switches to eachother and put some devices on one switch and the rest on the other? If they're all on the same Vlan why would they have to be connected to one switch and why must that switch be directly connected to a router ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's not a well written article..

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't fully understand the question but in general a subnet is a subdivison of an IP network.

Say you have subnet 192.168.1.0/24 and that subnet is assigned to vlan 10 in the switch, all devices connecting to the switch must have their switchports configured for Vlan 10 in order to be part of that subnet.

You can extend the Vlan to other switches with a simply Layer2 trunk configuration.

If you want to connect to devices outside the subnet, you need a Layer3 device. A Layer3 device can be a Layer3 switch or an external routing device. Either device will be the boundary between subnets and broadcasts traffic will not traverse thru it.

Thats how I understand It.It seems pretty straightforward.This Is the article containing the statement that confused me http://www.petri.co.il/csc_setup_a_vlan_on_a_cisco_switch.htm

It's not a well written article..

Thats good enough for me!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card