Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch#Show ip route "Invalid input"

I have a small problem while studying and here it goes:

I am using Packet tracer 5.3.1.0044 and while using it I type "show ip route" on any cisco switch that Packet tracer 5.3 have.
That gives me an "Invalid input detected at '^' marker"
(and marker is at letter p)

I tried "no ip route", i tried in enabled mode and global config t mode.
Somewhere i read that one guy has the same problem and he is facing with it because he doesn't have licensed ios.

Thank you.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Did you type this command on a 2960? As Paolo have said, this won't work on a Layer 2 switch.

You could perform this on a 3560 multilayer switch. Just enable routing with the 'ip routing' global config command.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is normal, layer 2 switch do not do routing and do not support that command.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Did you type this command on a 2960? As Paolo have said, this won't work on a Layer 2 switch.

You could perform this on a 3560 multilayer switch. Just enable routing with the 'ip routing' global config command.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I was looking some videos of Jeremy Cioara from CBTNuggets and he was using "show ip route" on a switch but I just found out that he was/is using 3550 multilayer switch. Thanks for the answering as that helped me to figure it out a bit faster.

2960 does not have "show ip route" as it is not multilayer switch but i have an option to input command "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x".
About 3560-24PS, it does not have option to input "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x" but has an "show ip route" command.

I searched a bit and find out that in packet tracer 3560-24PS lacks that option. Can someone explain?

Anyway i will use this as a help http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094374.shtml

Thank you.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

If IP routing is disabled (i.e. 'no ip routing or a 3560 acts as Layer 2 only) or unsupported (2960), we issue the 'ip default-gateway' global config command. This is similar to assigning the default gateway IP address on a PC.

Once the default gateway (a router's IP address) is configured, the switch is able to reach remote destination network that a client or a PC needs to talk to.

Note that when a switch is configured to route with IP, it doesn't need a default gateway configured.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Dear friends,

Just a small nitpicking here: Since 12.2(58)SE, I believe, the 2960 is capable of static/connected multilayer switching if running LANBASE IOS feature set and configured with lanbase-routing SDM template. So the 2960 is in fact a limited capability multilayer switch (no support for dynamic routing protocols, supports directly connected and static routes though).

Best regards,

Peter

Ah yes Peter, thanks for pitching in. I do heard about this.

I plainly base my response regarding routing capabitity of switches on PT as per orig post. I also don't want to confuse the person grasping the basic concepts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card