Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch#Show ip route "Invalid input"

I have a small problem while studying and here it goes:

I am using Packet tracer 5.3.1.0044 and while using it I type "show ip route" on any cisco switch that Packet tracer 5.3 have.
That gives me an "Invalid input detected at '^' marker"
(and marker is at letter p)

I tried "no ip route", i tried in enabled mode and global config t mode.
Somewhere i read that one guy has the same problem and he is facing with it because he doesn't have licensed ios.

Thank you.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Did you type this command on a 2960? As Paolo have said, this won't work on a Layer 2 switch.

You could perform this on a 3560 multilayer switch. Just enable routing with the 'ip routing' global config command.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is normal, layer 2 switch do not do routing and do not support that command.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Did you type this command on a 2960? As Paolo have said, this won't work on a Layer 2 switch.

You could perform this on a 3560 multilayer switch. Just enable routing with the 'ip routing' global config command.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I was looking some videos of Jeremy Cioara from CBTNuggets and he was using "show ip route" on a switch but I just found out that he was/is using 3550 multilayer switch. Thanks for the answering as that helped me to figure it out a bit faster.

2960 does not have "show ip route" as it is not multilayer switch but i have an option to input command "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x".
About 3560-24PS, it does not have option to input "ip default-gateway x.x.x.x" but has an "show ip route" command.

I searched a bit and find out that in packet tracer 3560-24PS lacks that option. Can someone explain?

Anyway i will use this as a help http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094374.shtml

Thank you.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

If IP routing is disabled (i.e. 'no ip routing or a 3560 acts as Layer 2 only) or unsupported (2960), we issue the 'ip default-gateway' global config command. This is similar to assigning the default gateway IP address on a PC.

Once the default gateway (a router's IP address) is configured, the switch is able to reach remote destination network that a client or a PC needs to talk to.

Note that when a switch is configured to route with IP, it doesn't need a default gateway configured.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Dear friends,

Just a small nitpicking here: Since 12.2(58)SE, I believe, the 2960 is capable of static/connected multilayer switching if running LANBASE IOS feature set and configured with lanbase-routing SDM template. So the 2960 is in fact a limited capability multilayer switch (no support for dynamic routing protocols, supports directly connected and static routes though).

Best regards,

Peter

Ah yes Peter, thanks for pitching in. I do heard about this.

I plainly base my response regarding routing capabitity of switches on PT as per orig post. I also don't want to confuse the person grasping the basic concepts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: