cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic shaping and auto qos

David Niemann
Level 3
Level 3

Is is possible to configure traffic shaping and use auto discover qos to create the auto qos templates based on the traffic limited by the shaping as opposed to the actual interface?  For example a shaping policy to limit traffic going from a hub site to a remote site.  Will the auto discover qos use the traffic shaping as the basis for it's suggested templates?      

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I don't believe so.  If it does though, it would likely require a recent IOS version.  AutoQoS features have changed with newer IOS releases.

If you understand enough about QoS to configure a shaper for AutoQoS and QoS Discovery to use, why not just manually configure whatever you need?

You have a point, but I guess I was really looking to leverage NBAR to help me identify what's flowing through the router.  I planned on using the auto qos as a baseline and then modifying as needed.  I'm getting zero assistance from the applications people on telling me what their apps use.  Figured a few weeks of auto discovery with NBAR would help me identify the traffic for prioritization.

Excluding the auto discovery qos should any nested QoS under a shaper policy base it's percentages on the shaped traffic rate as opposed to the actual interface?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Excluding the auto discovery qos should any nested QoS under a shaper policy base it's percentages on the shaped traffic rate as opposed to the actual interface?

I believe it should be based on parent's shaper.

You have a point, but I guess I was really looking to leverage NBAR to help me identify what's flowing through the router.  I planned on using the auto qos as a baseline and then modifying as needed.  I'm getting zero assistance from the applications people on telling me what their apps use.  Figured a few weeks of auto discovery with NBAR would help me identify the traffic for prioritization.

Okay, I can understand that but seldom found NBAR discovery of real value, beyond just satisfying curiosity.

Since you're discussing NBAR discovery, assuming you're using a software router and not a switch, just using FQ rather than FIFO often deals well with 90% of all congestion management needs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card