Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic shaping on router

mateomateo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,            

I have following scenario - router 2911 connected to 2950 switches with about 80 vlans. How can I limit speed on each of the 79 vlans (to equal % acros all of them) and give vlan 80 lets say 30% of total bandtwith. Since I am new to QOS, can you point me to the right website or give me example please.

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Do you really want to limit bandwidth or share fairly?  Do you really want to control limiting per VLAN or would sharing by flows be preferred?  Is this for to or from or both the VLANs?  Where are the bandwidth bottlenecks?  What does the 2911 actually connect to and kind/speed of interface?

Hi Joseph and thank you for interest.

Ok, I will have 60Mb internet line (up and down) I will also have 80 - vlans.

The set up is as follow:

WAN - 2911 - 10 switches 2950.

Now, for first vlan I will have to allocate more or less 50Mb and for the rest of vlans share equaly remaining 10Mb but let them to use full 10Mb for particular vlan in case rest of vlans not using broadband. That would be my main prerequitises.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For egress toward your WAN, something like:

policy-map WAN-Egress-shape

class class-default

shape average 54000000

service-policy WAN-Egress

policy-map WAN-Egress

class vlan-preferred

bandwidth remaining percent 83

fair-queue

class class-default

bandwidth remaining percent 17

fair-queue

class-map vlan-preferred

match access-group . . .

interface g #

service-policy output WAN-Egress-shape

For your ingress, ideally you manage the egress on the other side.  But if you're unable to, you can police, but many factors/variables are involved how well it will accomplish what you want.

Hi Matt,

As long as you have a seperate Vlan's then it would be possible to allocate bandwidth under the vlan's

See this scenario.

1:

Apply rate-limit

2:

Policy a specific VLAN number on VLAN interface.

class-map vlan1
match vlan 1
match class-map class-default

policy-map vlan1-limit
class vlan1
police 50000000 250000 exceed-action drop

int vlan1
service-policy input vlan1-limit

the traffic with VLAN 1 coming from any will be shaped at 50Mbps.
Hope this will help you.

Regards

please rate if it helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card