cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic shaping over MPLS

jwilder01
Level 1
Level 1

I have an MPLS network that has QoS policies to prioritize voice traffic.  However I have an issue where a circuit (1.5MB T1) is being saturated by clients.  Network reports by the carrier show 95%+ utilization either receive or send and the high traffic causes my Cisco IP Phones to have TCP timeouts to the CUCM at the core.

So my question is:

Can I shape traffic at my F0/0 interface that connects to the carrier CPE so that my VLAN's are prioritized at the point of entry/egress?

My data VLAN 10 would get 85% dedicated and voice VLAN 5 would get the remaining 15% so that phones do not lose registration?

2 Replies 2

Hi, I know that each VLAN can have its own shaping, possibly by basic MQC. However, I have a few question for you to understand your situation better. No offense, my straight questions are,

When you said "saturated by clients", who administers the clients? You? 

When you said "I have an MPLS network", who administers the mpls-aware routers? You?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, if you have routers, you could shape one site's 100 Mbps egress to another site's T1 ingress, to insure VoIP is prioritize.  However, if running across an MPLS network, MPLS vendors often support some QoS, so working with them, you should be able to prioritize VoIP going into the T1 site.

For the converse, T1 site to FE site, the T1 site, like other sites, should have QoS enable to deal with local interface congestion.

So, to recap, you should only need to shape, if the MPLS cloud doesn't support QoS from MPLS to sites.  (NB: BTW, shaping works well if there are only two sites, or perhaps if you're logical topology is hub and spoke, but if multipoint, you really need MPLS QoS support too.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card