cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TRYING TO GET CCENT Need Help with Understanding few topics

mnoote191
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to make sure I get this right the only time you use the clock rate command on the router is in lab enviornments not in real world because in lab enviornment you are using two routers connected with a DCE/DTE cable and one router is supplying to clock rate. But in real world the CSU/DSU are supplying the clockrate but even if the clockrate is supplied by the CSU/DSU does the router still need to be configured with that clock rate that the CSU/DSU supplied or does the router pick up the clock rate automatically and will the test be based on LAB Enviornment or Real World I just want to make sure I get this right

Also with clockrate and bandwidth commands do you have enter both commands on the routers when configuring clock rate speeds I guess for lab enviornment end or real world  in whats the difference between clock rate bandwidth other than the unit at which they use which clock rate command uses bps, and bandwidth uses kbps

Thanks so much

Michael Noote
5 Replies 5

Jan Hrnko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Michael,

I am trying to make sure I get this right the only time you use the  clock rate command on the router is in lab enviornments not in real  world because in lab enviornment you are using two routers connected  with a DCE/DTE cable and one router is supplying to clock rate. But in  real world the CSU/DSU are supplying the clockrate but even if the  clockrate is supplied by the CSU/DSU does the router still need to be  configured with that clock rate that the CSU/DSU supplied or does the  router pick up the clock rate automatically and will the test be based  on LAB Enviornment or Real World I just want to make sure I get this  right

Well in most real wold cases - provider will be the one that has clock configured, so your device will be a DTE. No clock rate command needed (clock will be provided to you).

In laboratory conditions, you must configure both sides (DCE(provider side) and DTE).

Also with clockrate and bandwidth commands do you have enter both  commands on the routers when configuring clock rate speeds I guess for  lab enviornment end or real world  in whats the difference between clock  rate bandwidth other than the unit at which they use which clock rate  command uses bps, and bandwidth uses kbps

clock rate and bandwidth commands are totally different commands and please, do not consider them interchangeable or something like that. Both have different purpose that will show up later in your studies.

clock rate - this one is pretty much obvious, as you stated - it sets the actual rate in bps(bits per second)

bandwidth - has no impact on speed of the link but has quite an impact in many different things. For example: It is used by routing protocols such as EIGRP,OSPF for metric calculation or in QoS (Quality of Service). I have read that also TCP will adjust its initial  retransmission parameters based on the bandwidth configured on the  interface but I have not tested it.

Best regards,

Jan

mnoote191
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for explaining that Jan big help
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Michael Noote

mnoote191
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for help very much