Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnel interface ip mtu vs mpls mtu commands

kevin.r719
Level 1
Level 1

hey,

so if you have an encrypted tunnel and the tunnel ip mtu is 1400, how do you set the

mpls mtu

command if you expect 2 labels max? do you make it the same as the tunnel mtu? Or how do these commands work exactly?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @kevin.r719 

Calculate the MPLS MTU by subtracting the MPLS label stack overhead from the IP MTU. So, if IP MTU is 1400 and the MPLS overhead for two labels is, i.e.8 bytes, then the MPLS MTU might be set to 1392.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @kevin.r719 

Calculate the MPLS MTU by subtracting the MPLS label stack overhead from the IP MTU. So, if IP MTU is 1400 and the MPLS overhead for two labels is, i.e.8 bytes, then the MPLS MTU might be set to 1392.

Best regards

Thanks. I can't really find the documentation on this so essentially it's the max mtu before the mpls labels

@kevin.r719 

Yes, the MPLS MTU is essentially the maximum size of the packet before MPLS labels are added. In your case, with a tunnel IP MTU of 1400 and considering 2 MPLS labels with an overhead of 8 bytes, the MPLS MTU would be 1392. This ensures that the packets can accommodate the MPLS label information within the specified maximum size. 

Best regards

I will test this case in lab if you want.

Thanks 

MHM

that would be cool. constraints

the ip mtu is 1400

using ipsec gre's 

the maximum labels 2

Yes I prefer lab for some case.

I Will run lab and update you tonight 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card