Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to login. cisco 1941

flater1c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a cisco 1941 router. First of all, a i can't connect via ssh (connection timed-out error). I tried to connect via console, but there is critical logging enabled, so i have no login request, only messages like these:

-Traceback= 21032A70z 21032A54z
*Nov 14 12:26:40.834 Moscow: %SYS-2-CHUNKEXPANDFAIL: Could not expand chunk pool for ipnat entry. No memory available -Process= "Chunk Manager", ipl= 4, pid= 1
-Traceback= 21032A70z 21032A54zRouting1941
*Nov 14 12:26:50.846 Moscow: %SYS-2-CHUNKEXPANDFAIL: Could not expand chunk pool for ipnat entry. No memory available -Process= "Chunk Manager", ipl= 4, pid= 1
-Traceback= 21032A70z 21032A54z
*Nov 14 12:26:51.946 Moscow: %SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL: Memory allocation of 16540 bytes failed from 0x21025E40, alignment 0
Pool: Processor  Free: 30048400  Cause: Memory fragmentation
Alternate Pool: None  Free: 0  Cause: No Alternate pool
 -Process= "qos_mon_periodic Process", ipl= 0, pid= 414

So, as i can see, we have memory issues. But how can i log on and at least look at running-config?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

do you know what the approximate uptime is of the router ? Is that a production device, or can you do a reboot and/or a reset ?

View solution in original post

You'll need to find a time to reboot the router or the router will crash any time.

There are several things to note about this issue:

- the traceback messages are indicators of a software problem.

- perhaps the more significant message is the one about 

SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL

This indicates a memory issue and is almost certainly the result of a memory leak.

- one of the results of the memory leak is that the router can not allocate sufficient memory to run the login process and that is why you are not able to login on the router.

- the way to fix the short term problem (not able to login) is to reboot.

- the way to fix the longer term problem (memory leak) is to upgrade to a different version of code. (of course being able to upgrade code depends on having an active service contract for the router)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

5 Replies 5

Hello,

do you know what the approximate uptime is of the router ? Is that a production device, or can you do a reboot and/or a reset ?

Hello,

i don't know the exact time, but more than 7 months. Device is in use, providing internet 24/7. And i'm afraid that after reboot it will not start properly, is there any chance of it, or my fear is vain?

You'll need to find a time to reboot the router or the router will crash any time.

There are several things to note about this issue:

- the traceback messages are indicators of a software problem.

- perhaps the more significant message is the one about 

SYS-2-MALLOCFAIL

This indicates a memory issue and is almost certainly the result of a memory leak.

- one of the results of the memory leak is that the router can not allocate sufficient memory to run the login process and that is why you are not able to login on the router.

- the way to fix the short term problem (not able to login) is to reboot.

- the way to fix the longer term problem (memory leak) is to upgrade to a different version of code. (of course being able to upgrade code depends on having an active service contract for the router)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that our responses have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card