cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to save config Cat 3750 switch stack

Cisco Tech
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 stack of 4 switches that was installed about 2 years ago. Recently I was doing some work on the switch and realized that I am unable to save the config. I amobviously concerned that if the power fails or the switch reboots I will be reconfiguring it and that is not something I am interested in doing! Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the error that I am receiving:

switch#copy run startup-config

Destination filename [startup-config]?

Building configuration...

nv_done: unable to open "flash:/config.text.new"

nv_done: unable to open "flash:/private-config.text.new"

nv_done: unable to open "flash:/multiple-fs.new"[OK]

0 bytes copied in 5.730 secs (0 bytes/sec)

~BRAD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Looks like IOS version is at a later release. Is there a way to tell if it is the hardware?

Hi Brad,

It ain't hardware.  It's the software you are running.  12.2(52)SE is a very, very buggy code.

One more thing, you have a sub-directory called "update".  You may need to delete this otherwise you will not be able to upgrade the IOS of the switch (in the stack).

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is you SW version? please post "sh flash:" output.

There is a similar bug fixed in 12.2(50)SE1 and later releases, so if you are on older release, I suggest to upgrade:

CSCsq24610    write memory error after power-off new member in auto-upgrading

Also, this could be caused by a flash HW issues.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Here is the output for this command:

switch#sh flash:

Directory of flash:/

2  drwx         512   Jan 2 1994 04:25:13 +00:00  update

3  -rwx        2296  Mar 30 1994 06:15:18 +00:00  vlan.dat

429  -rwx       44493   Oct 8 1994 04:56:32 +00:00  config.text.backup

4  -rwx        5144  Oct 13 1993 01:56:53 +00:00  multiple-fs

5  drwx         512   Mar 1 1993 00:34:44 +00:00  c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-52.SE

428  -rwx        1932  Oct 13 1993 01:56:53 +00:00  private-config.text

430  -rwx          24   Mar 7 1993 04:40:12 +00:00  private-config.text.backup

431  -rwx       42945  Oct 13 1993 01:56:53 +00:00  config.text

57671680 bytes total (26843648 bytes free)

Looks like IOS version is at a later release. Is there a way to tell if it is the hardware?

~BRAD

Hi Brad,

It ain't hardware.  It's the software you are running.  12.2(52)SE is a very, very buggy code.

One more thing, you have a sub-directory called "update".  You may need to delete this otherwise you will not be able to upgrade the IOS of the switch (in the stack).

Hmm...I will investigate the code option. I have to figure out how to get it downloaded as some reason CISCO decided that I don't have privileges to the IOS anymore...Thanks for the heads up on the update folder I will give it a shot and reply about the results.

Any John, yes, I definitely have it backed up - every Monday I add it to my weekly backups - thanks for the heads up though!

~BRAD

Duplicate posts #2.  

John Peterson
Level 1
Level 1

Mate,

before anything goes wrong make sure you have a copy of the config.

use a tftf server.

Check which switch is the master and issue a write memory once your are working from the master of the stack.

HTH

Alessio

I have done the command from the stack master and it gives me that error.

Apparently it looks like I can download the IP base images but not the Universal. What is the difference between these two and would I want to avoid one or the other?

~BRAD

No not really.

the universal image has al the feature in it that you need to enable with a new licensing system while a normal 12.2.44 IOS for example is just as excellent as the universal.using the 12.2.48 and 12.2.5x no universal i have built a 90+ L3 switch infrastructure with no one issues for more than 4 years... and it is still working fine....

HTH

Alessio

David Sharkat
Level 1
Level 1

it will be better to save the config to TFTP server , if the router will crash you loss your "backup"

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Cisco Tech
Level 1
Level 1

As it turns out, rebooting the switch did the trick. I had to save the config to a tftp server, reload it and reconfigure. Once I did that I could save the config and edit the flash. I still need to get the code updated but it shouldn't be an issue now.

~BRAD

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card