cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to send SMS on LTE EHWIC

edwardforgacs
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to get SMS sending to work using a EHWIC-4G-LTE in a 2900 series router.

IP connectivity works fine with the cellular module and it can also receive SMS messages. Sending fails every time with the following error, both using E.164 and local number formats:

%CELLWAN-4-OUTGOING_SMS_ERROR: Cellular0/2/0 failed to send an outgoing SMS

I also tried enabling debug cellular 0/2/0 messages sms which produced no useful debugs, and then all all messages debugging which just produced unintelligible hex dumps.

show cellular 0/2/0 sms shows the below. An archive FTP url is set and the archiving works, but it is not shown below.

Total SMS sent successfully = 0
Total SMS send failure = 8
Number of outgoing SMS pending = 0
Number of successful archive since booting up = 4
Number of failed archive since booting up = 4
Last Outgoing SMS Status = RECEIVED SEND NOTIFICATION
Copy-to-SIM Status = 0xFF
Send-to-Network Status = 0xFF
Report-Outgoing-Message-Number:
Reference Number = 0
Result Code = 0xFF
Diag Code = 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0

IOS version is 15.7(3)M8. Is this a bug?

18 Replies 18

Hello,

it somehow indeed sounds like a limitation of the SIM card. Curious to know what the solution is, keep us updated... 

I'm having an identical issue on my 1941 at home. You might be right about the SIM... i'm using a data-only SIM that is part of my mobile plan and while it receives emergency SMS messages, it refuses to send any. I was hoping to use an applet to SMS me when my primary link goes down but i'll have to settle for an email.

Yes, it seems that was the problem. The Telco (Telstra in Australia) used to permit that on these extra data-only SIMs but when I wrote the original message it seemed to stop supporting SMS in those scenarios.

Good to know. Same SIM, same carrier for me. I think it was disabled some time ago so that users couldn't accidentally sign up to premium ringtone subscriptions etc when on a tablet.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card