cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding ACL entries and applying them to FW interfaces

CiscoStretch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I am trying to configure a network and set up ACL's. I need to allow R1 to ping R2. R1 is on the outside of my firewall and R2 is on the inside. I have created the ACL entries on the firewall to permit ICMP both ways, however I still cannot get the pings to work. I also tried enabling echo-reply but also have an error. When I run the command "access list 101 permit... etc etc" do I need to create a new number for each ACL entry? Or do they all get the "access list 101" entry? 

Im trying to apply the ACL entries to different interfaces of the firewall, and when I run "access-group 101 in interface outside" it works, however I'm just wondering HOW it works when there are multiple entries that say access list 101. Please help.

7 Replies 7

after creation of ACL, you need to map that ACL to relevent interface with inbound or outbound. check below guide. chare your config to review 

https://www.auvik.com/franklyit/blog/acls-cisco-asa-firewalls/

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

ammahend
VIP
VIP

this will allow out to in ICMP as well is in to out even if ICMP inspection is not enabled.

access-list ALLOW_ICMP extended permit icmp any any

access-group ALLOW_ICMP in interface OUTSIDE

-hope this helps-

I just tried that and it said "allow_icmp" does not exist.

send a screen shot please

-hope this helps-

simply do you config route for other router  in each router point to ASA ?

Hello
can you post the access-list please.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi , 

1). R2(192.168.2.1)( inside) is to be pinged from R1(192.168.1.1)(Outside) .  By default Nameif Inside has a security = 100 , while Nameif Outside is set to a lower security let's suppose = 0 

2). Default Behaviour of the Firewall won't allow the traffic to move from Low security to High security 

3). To Bypass default behaviour  ACL will be used 

4). # access-list XYZ permit icmp host 192.168.1.1 host 192.168.2.1 

# access-group XYZ in interface outside  

Note : You can also verify "inspect icmp"command under policy map.

Spooster IT Services Team
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card