cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding the Features of Auto-MDIX

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, my client company replaced the equipment and connected the cable, but I received a message that the link did not live.

Only the trunk setting is set.

C1000FE-24T-4G-L
interface gi 1/0/1
switchport mode trunk

C1000FE-48T-4G-L
interface gi 1/0/1
switchport mode trunk

While I was looking for documents, I found out about the functions of Auto-MDIX
Someone says the link might not live if Auto-MDIX check cycles are the same on both sides with a very rare probability.
Can anyone explain this to me?

Both switches are version 15.2(7)E7 or later.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I doubt if auto-mdix is involved because these days all of that is automated and every device 'has it'
   Check logs on the devices when the trunk link connection is attempted , also look at the status of the interfaces
   and the port counters (for instance)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello ,

the Auto MDIX allow the two ports to detect the need for one of them to "cross connect"  in order to build a connection using a straight LAN cable.

Before MDIX introduction we needed to use crossover LAN cables to interconnect switch to switch or router to router or PC to PC.

To be noted a switch port is different from a PC or router port and it is ready to  serve a PC or router port using a straight cable.

One possible option is to have the customer to try to use a crossover cable.

In some specific cases this is still needed usually for some multi vendor connections

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Someone says the link might not live if Auto-MDIX check cycles are the same on both sides with a very rare probability."

Unaware of such, so if someone could provide a reference, that would be nice.

Not all devices support auto-MDI.  I don't know if those devices do.  On Cisco devices that do, auto negotiation normally needs to be enabled.

@Giuseppe Larosa makes a good suggestion, try a cross over cable.  If not already tried, try a different straight thru cable too.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Default the config of Gi 1/0/1.  

Connect Gi 1/0/1 to, say, Gi 1/0/12.  Does the ports go "up"?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card