Helpful
Replies

Upgrade IOS Failed!

Ralph Rankin
Level 1
Level 1

To Experts,

Good Day!

I have an issue of upgrading IOS Software Error: “Software upgrade failed” this is my current IOS System image file is "flash:/c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE7/c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE7.bin" 

And I want to upgrade the latest with  “c2960-lanbasek9-tar.150-2.SE5” I’m using Cisco network assistant tool. I just I want to know if this is the correct version compatible to my switch.

Please Advice!

Thank you.

Raffy

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Upgrading to IOS version 15.0(2)SE5 is a serious mistake.  I rolled back to 15.0(2)SE4 after this version failed in my test bench.

2.  Use CLI command:  archive download-sw tftp://TFTP IP Address/IOS_filename.tar

why serious mistakes?

why serious mistakes?

CPU and memory bugs from previous versions, 15.0(2)SE, 15.0(2)SE1, 15.0(2)SE2, have made a come-back in 15.0(2)SE5.

15.0(2)SE4 seems to be stable. 

thank you Sir...

Hi Leo,

I've upgraded my 3560 a couple weeks back from IP Base to Advanced IP Seevices and it took it.

Any difference between the copy and archive command? Is it the tar file?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Any difference between the copy and archive command? Is it the tar file?

Kumusta?  

My recommendation to anyone is this:  If you are a novice in upgrading the switch IOS, then DO NOT USE the BIN file to upgrade.  Use the TAR file (archive download-sw) because the script will tell you if you are there are any error messages or not.  The BIN file will NOT tell you that you're copying, for example, the IOS for a 3750 IOS into a 3560 switch.

Besides, with the "archive download-sw" the script will change the boot variable while the "copy tftp: flash:" won't.  Again, if you don't know what you are doing, use the TAR file to make it easier for you.

Ok gotcha mate!

Salamat po!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Mabuti naman po..:)

its a tar file, then using cisco network assistant tool...

its a tar file, then using cisco network assistant tool...

Ay naku po!

Don't use CNA either.

When upgrading Cisco appliances (except WiSM or WLC), always use CLI.

Salamat Sir

vijaydee1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raffy,

Please check available free size in flash. Make sure available size in flash must be greater then the size of IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco