cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Ios in a vrfs router

joselopez
Level 1
Level 1

How to upgrade the software (Ios) in a router with vrfs configuration?

6 Replies 6

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

the safest way would be through the global routing table through TFTP. In this case IOS upgrade is not different to a router without VRFs configured.

Hope this helps

Martin

P.S.: in case you have a more specific problem, please provide more information.

Hi Martin,

My problem is that I don't have any entries in the global configuration.

In fact, I have 2 separate vrfs routing table and the router use the global routing table to access the tftp server.

I have a workaround with a tftp server in the lan and if I remove the ip vrf forwarding in the ethernet interface, I suppose that it' work because in thic case , I have a directed connected in the global command.

Do you have another solution ?

Thanks,

Regards,

José

Thank

Hi,

there is the possibility to create VLAN subinterfaces and place one VLAN in global routing context - actually any subinterface would do.

You also ahve the problem of SNMP access and other things not yet being fully VRF aware. So for management purposes it´s still a good practice to have global routing access to routers with VRFs.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi,

For snmp, I have a loopback configured in a vrf and then I don't have a problem for management.

I can't configured vlan and also I used vrf lite for address-family in BGP

It's important to know that in global routing table, I receive any update because BGP vrf lite.

Question: It' possible that the upgrade use a vrf routing table and NOT global routing table?

José

Hi,

in fact it should be possible with the help of

ip tftp source-interface

or

ip ftp source-interface

specifying an interface in the VRF, where the TFTP server is to be found.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hello Martin,

I have also try with the command ip tftp source-interface last week but without success.

I will try with the workaround that I have proposed and the customer is agree.

Thanks very much for your collaboration, it was a pleasure to work with you.

Happy new year !!!!

José

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card