cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Ios in a vrfs router

joselopez
Level 1
Level 1

How to upgrade the software (Ios) in a router with vrfs configuration?

6 Replies 6

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

the safest way would be through the global routing table through TFTP. In this case IOS upgrade is not different to a router without VRFs configured.

Hope this helps

Martin

P.S.: in case you have a more specific problem, please provide more information.

Hi Martin,

My problem is that I don't have any entries in the global configuration.

In fact, I have 2 separate vrfs routing table and the router use the global routing table to access the tftp server.

I have a workaround with a tftp server in the lan and if I remove the ip vrf forwarding in the ethernet interface, I suppose that it' work because in thic case , I have a directed connected in the global command.

Do you have another solution ?

Thanks,

Regards,

José

Thank

Hi,

there is the possibility to create VLAN subinterfaces and place one VLAN in global routing context - actually any subinterface would do.

You also ahve the problem of SNMP access and other things not yet being fully VRF aware. So for management purposes it´s still a good practice to have global routing access to routers with VRFs.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi,

For snmp, I have a loopback configured in a vrf and then I don't have a problem for management.

I can't configured vlan and also I used vrf lite for address-family in BGP

It's important to know that in global routing table, I receive any update because BGP vrf lite.

Question: It' possible that the upgrade use a vrf routing table and NOT global routing table?

José

Hi,

in fact it should be possible with the help of

ip tftp source-interface

or

ip ftp source-interface

specifying an interface in the VRF, where the TFTP server is to be found.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hello Martin,

I have also try with the command ip tftp source-interface last week but without success.

I will try with the workaround that I have proposed and the customer is agree.

Thanks very much for your collaboration, it was a pleasure to work with you.

Happy new year !!!!

José

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card