Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade to Gibraltar 16.12.x or Fuji 16.9.x

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

we plan to upgrade our IOS-XE devices (ASR1K, ISR4K, Cat3K, 9K) next year and would like to know which one to choose: gibraltar 16.12.x or fuji 16.9.x? i can see both had gold start and would like to know which one is more stable and will have longer support/patch releases.

what's are major changes in 3.x to 16.x? i.e. commands, licensing, etc?

also, we still run IOS-XE 3.x.x and would like to know if there's a upgrade path to follow: 3.x >16.x?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the 3850 is running PoE &/or Dot1X, avoid 16.12.X at all cost because of major series (plural) of PoE and SNMP bugs.  In Dot1X, all it takes is for one link to flap and switch members will crash every 36 hours.  

For 3850, I recommend 16.3.X.

hi leo,

do you have any 16.12.x bug links to support this?

16.3 is denali which is a bit old. why go for this code?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check Release Notes and subsequent installation procedures as how to upgrade on a particular platform and what are the upgrade requirements (check or not if intermediate releases are needed). For any specific model go to cisco-downloads and look for the current advisory and or gold-starred release for the particular model/platform.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card