Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cisco 2960X stack

I'm having trouble finding any decent guides to upgrading a 2960X stack with the .BIN file. The official Cisco guide goes over the process with the .TAR file, but it's not the same. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the .BIN upgrade process? Based off of bits and pieces of articles that I found on Google, here's how I see the process going for our 4-switch stack....

1. Copy the .BIN file to the "flash" directory of EACH switch in the stack.

- copy ftp: flash1:

- copy ftp: flash2:

- copy ftp: flash3:

- copy ftp: flash4:

2. Upgrade the Master (switch #1) switch first. Save and reload the device.

- boot system switch all

flash:/bin-file-name.bin

3. Upgrade the other switches one at a time.

- archive copy-sw /force-reload /overwrite /dest 2 1

- archive copy-sw /force-reload /overwrite /dest 3 1

- archive copy-sw /force-reload /overwrite /dest 4 1

4. Verify all switches upgraded post their reboots.

Seems time intensive, but I don't see any other way to do the upgrade. Anyone else? 

Thank you,

LK

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bolds04
Level 1
Level 1

As I understand it, the best way would be to use the TAR file.  But if not, unfortunately you have to copy the BIN file to each switch in the stack.  Once the file is copied, just type the

reload

command and you should see the new image being installed on all switches in the stack.  Reference http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html#cfbin1

B

View solution in original post

Hello,

Actually, using bin file is quite easy. As you mentioned, you need to copy bin file to the flash. Then use

show flash 

to make sure file exists. Then

conf t

boot system Flash:IOSname.bin

WR

reload the master and slaves after.

Just make sure you have the latest back-up of the configuration and also one copy of current working IOS just in case.

Masoud

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

bolds04
Level 1
Level 1

As I understand it, the best way would be to use the TAR file.  But if not, unfortunately you have to copy the BIN file to each switch in the stack.  Once the file is copied, just type the

reload

command and you should see the new image being installed on all switches in the stack.  Reference http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html#cfbin1

B

Thanks bolds04.

Hello,

Actually, using bin file is quite easy. As you mentioned, you need to copy bin file to the flash. Then use

show flash 

to make sure file exists. Then

conf t

boot system Flash:IOSname.bin

WR

reload the master and slaves after.

Just make sure you have the latest back-up of the configuration and also one copy of current working IOS just in case.

Masoud

Thanks, that seems straightforward and wasn't sure why it was all so confusing in the beginning

You are welcome.

It looks confusing because there are several switches involved, but it is pretty easy.

Masoud

This should be enough (see below).

Just make sure you use the "boot system switch all". This is critical. It changes the boot variable on all switches (see show boot). Without "switch all" only the master boot variable is changed if you reload then, only the master will run the new version and all the other will have a "version mismatch" status in the stack.

1. Copy the .BIN file to the "flash" directory of EACH switch in the stack.

- copy ftp: flash1:

- copy ftp: flash2:

- copy ftp: flash3:

- copy ftp: flash4:

2. This command on the master

- boot system switch all flash:/bin-file-name.bin

reload

Thanks gnijs. Did this exact method yesterday during our upgrades and worked like a charm.

Actually, if you need to save on bandwidth, you can just copy it once to the flash: and then you copy it internally from flash: to each stack member's flash:

If the stack is set up in correct order, the master will be switch 1.

simply copy therefore from flash: to flash2:, flash3:, and so on.

By the way, a super easy way to copy directly onto your cisco device without messing around with TFTP infrastructure is the use of SCP.

1. Download PSCP ( a small stand-alone .exe file like calc.exe) and your IOS into the same folder on your computer.

2. On your switches, enable the following command and save:

conf t

ip scp server enable

3. Run a command

shell (cmd)

on your computer, go to your folder where IOS and PSCP are located.

4. Copy with the following syntax to your device:

pscp -scp <ios file name> <user>@<device name or ip>:<ios file name>

5. When prompted, enter your password and the copy process starts

6. Relax, enjoy a coffee.

You can copy like this on a stack and it will be automatically placed onto flash:. Distributed then from there internally to all stack members.

Oh, and if you need to update lots of machines like i do, simply run 30 or 40 cmd shells in parallel.

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

We have another process so I thought I would share it.  Download the bin file to all of the switches and verify the hash is correct.  Remove the old bin file.  Do no use a

boot

command, and make sure the

boot 

command is blank. reload the switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card