cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS on Cisco 2610XM router from 12.2xx to 12.4???

NormMuelleman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all;

I have just purchased a used 2610XM router for use at home to help me with preparing for the CCNA Security certification.

The router came with IOS 12.2xxx.

I've been told that in order to get SDM, which is a big part of the cert test, I need to upgrade to 12.4xxx IOS.

I've purused the Cisco site looking for the correct IOS, but there are multiple versions of the 12.4 IOS.

My question is this: which flavor of 12.4 IOS should I d/l?? And does SDM come incorporated WITHIN the IOS, or is that a separate d/l?

I sent an email to Cisco support..and of course I've gotten the run-around. I'm starting to think Cisco is getting to the lvl of Juniper and Acer for customer service! I asked a simple question; I was told that my router's S/N was "expired" and to post on the forums..sigh..

Can someone please help??

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

which flavor of 12.4 IOS should I d/l??          _

Download the version which will be supported on your appliance based on DRAM and Flash size requirement.

And does SDM come incorporated WITHIN the IOS, or is that a separate d/l?

SDM is a separate download and I've never heard that SDM is a "required" knowledge in CCNA exam.

SDM is a recent addition to the exam as far as I know. But think you only need to be able to run the one-step lockdown wizard or run the security audit from the SDM GUI.

Andy Roberts
Level 1
Level 1

Search on CCO under downloads for SDM. It is a separate package of files that you upload to the routers flash. It is not built into the IOS image.

Andy.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

No, i have my ccna already..sdm needed for ccna security exam...

I'll get on cisco site and d/l what i can...I guess then I need a TFTP server program to u/l to my device? Any recommendations?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card