Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading to Cisco ISR 4331 from 2811

dineshanikode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new here. I am planning to replace my current router 2811 with ISR 4331. I have some doubts which are mentioned mentioned below. Please help me on this. Thanks in advance...

1) How many onboard Rj-45 GE ports are available with ISR 4331?

2) ISR4331 has GE ports, but the throughput mentioned in the datasheet is 100 Mbps by default. Does that mean I will get only 100 Mbps even if I have connected two Gbps links?

3) I will be using the ISR 4331 to route between two ILLs using BGP. Do I need to purchase any additional license?

4) What all are the functions enabled by default in ISR 4331 that can be used without any additional licenses?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the entire throughput licensing can be a bit confusing indeed. I guess that is a legitimate question: why the Gigabit ports, when the default aggregate throughput is only 100MB on the 4331 ?

Either way, when you buy the 4331, it comes with a 60 day evaluation period. The way to increase the throughput is by simply enabling it from the router:

4331(config)#platform hardware throughput level 300000

then reboot the router.

The level will depend on the license you have. The performance license gets you 300MB throughput. The boost license gives you unlimited bandwidth and line rate.

Have a look at the document linked below, which I think explains the issue in an understandable way:

https://knowtoshare.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/cisco-isr-4331-throughput-capacity/

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

I moved your post to a more appropriate section of the community as you had originally posted it in the Unified Communication part.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

I am not aware of such things.
Thanks for the same

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) How many onboard Rj-45 GE ports are available with ISR 4331?

- look at the datasheet :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet-c78-732542.html

2) ISR4331 has GE ports, but the throughput mentioned in the datasheet is 100 Mbps by default. Does that mean I will get only 100 Mbps even if I have connected two Gbps links?

-  100 Mbps ( aggregated throughput) - this max, and you can avail yourself with the performance License mentioned in the above datasheet.

3) I will be using the ISR 4331 to route between two ILLs using BGP. Do I need to purchase any additional license?

- for BGP no not required.

4) What all are the functions enabled by default in ISR 4331 that can be used without any additional licenses?

- Cisco IOS XE Software  ( above datasheet has this information)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Still, I didn't understand then what is the purpose of GE ports on it..?

What is the solution to increasing the throughput..?

Regards,

Dinesh

If you read @balaji.bandi answer you will find the answer to this question as well.

Response Signature

Still, I didn't understand then what is the purpose of GE ports on it..?

- GE ports are standard, Not make any sense by paying good price get 10MB ports or 100MB ports
- Industry have 100Mb and 1GS and mGig port, 10G ports What is the solution to increasing the throughput..?
- you need to buy addon License

we are here to help you, but at the same time, we expect to spend some time reading the docs provided and you will be the person who manages the device we are here to help as a community so every one time is very important here.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

the entire throughput licensing can be a bit confusing indeed. I guess that is a legitimate question: why the Gigabit ports, when the default aggregate throughput is only 100MB on the 4331 ?

Either way, when you buy the 4331, it comes with a 60 day evaluation period. The way to increase the throughput is by simply enabling it from the router:

4331(config)#platform hardware throughput level 300000

then reboot the router.

The level will depend on the license you have. The performance license gets you 300MB throughput. The boost license gives you unlimited bandwidth and line rate.

Have a look at the document linked below, which I think explains the issue in an understandable way:

https://knowtoshare.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/cisco-isr-4331-throughput-capacity/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card