Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using BGP to add routes

I have posted previously about an issue with BGP and still need help. I have new information below.  For background information, here's the old thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4134769#4134769.

Overview:

We have ATMs that communicate over our network to our host, then out through our internet service (via our vendor's router using vpn) to our vendor. Each location learns the route through bgp. We also have a dr location with the same router setup. When the host location goes down, the locations should then go to the dr site.  I've attached configs for the switches involved, but here's the shorthand version of how we've configured bgp:

Operations switch:

router bgp 2388

network 10.15.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

ip route 10.15.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.20.102.125 track 1

We're using IPSLA to drop the route on the operations switch.

On the dr switch, we have a similar configuration, except we have the static route as such:

ip route 10.15.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.20.128.16 250

Our thinking is that in normal operations, all locations will go to the host site (operations), including the dr site. When the host site goes down, bgp drops the route at operations and the dr route will be used. It's not working.

Any ideas?

17 Replies 17

Chris

In addition -

do you know the source IP when you tried to connect from a remote site ?

If so can you -

1) from both the Ops router and the W Columbia router post a -

a) "sh ip bgp <network> <subnet mask>" for that IP

and

b) "sh ip route <network> <subnet mask>" for that IP

Jon

Chris

One last point.

I am assuming that any local clients in the W Columbia site do not have their default gateway set to the W Columbia router but the W Columbia switch ?

The reason i ask is because you are prepending the route to 10.15.1.0/24 from the W Columbia switch to the W Columbia Ops router. The W Columbia Ops router also receives that route from the AVPN cloud.

The route received from the AVPN cloud will probably have a shorter AS PATH so the W Columbia router will think the best path to 10.15.1.0/24 is via the AVPN cloud. The W Columbia switch won't though because of the static route.

This should not be an issue unless local traffic to 10.15.1.0/24 within the W Columbia site goes via the W Columbia router.

If the default gateway of the local clients is the W Columbia switch it will be fine.

Jon

Thanks for your responses, Jon. Let me review and post back any thoughts/questions.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card