cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using eigrp stub routers between 4 sites connected with ethernet?

hmc2500
Level 1
Level 1

What are potential issues you can run into when using the eigrp stub feature set on 4 routers that are connected to each other on a LAN? Will it advertise routes? Are there limitations? If another router was behind any of the routers in the attached pic from what  I understand it would not be advertised amongst the routers is that correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For 4 routers as shown in the diagram connected through a switch in a LAN using eigrp stub should not cause issues. They should advertise their connected and static routes and route traffic to each other. The limitation is that any routes from a router connected behind one of them would not be advertised. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For 4 routers as shown in the diagram connected through a switch in a LAN using eigrp stub should not cause issues. They should advertise their connected and static routes and route traffic to each other. The limitation is that any routes from a router connected behind one of them would not be advertised. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

THank you, but if you do have a router behind one of them you can still advertise the routes by using static routes and redistributing those routes into eigrp right? 

That is one way of looking at this issue. You certainly can configure static routes for the subnets accessed through that router and redistribute the static routes. But you have now lost the advantages of running eigrp where that router is concerned. Typically we run eigrp because we want to dynamically learn network resources and want to dynamically learn when those resources are no longer available and react to that change in the network. When you use static routes and redistribute them then you lose the advantages of eigrp for that router. Is the reason to configure the router as stub important enough to out weigh the loss of dynamically learning and dynamically reacting to changes in network topology?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you. We don't have the full eigrp licenses currently, so I'm trying to find out if it's really necessary to upgrade or not. I've been able to test it in a test environment but just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Thank you for the additional information. And thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. If you are restricted by license to using only stub eigrp then you do have a significant question to resolve. With current licensing you would get the advantages of eigrp (dynamic learning and dynamic response to changes in topology) for some routers/sites but not for others. I do not know enough about your environment to assess the significance and advantage of having dynamic routing in all routers vs having it in only some of the routers. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card