Views
Helpful
Replies

Verizon Internet Router

ankitohc
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello. 

I am learning CCNA. I am creating a test environment. I have a few questions regarding this Verizon internet router.

Usually when we connect to the home router it gives the private network however when i connect this Verizon router it shows the public IP address on my laptop so i just want to know the reason why it shows a public IP address instead of a private IP address, I also have router 2800 series and I want to get internet connectivity.. I can configure the NAT right?

ankitohc_0-1694818386112.jpeg

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What Class block does this public address fall into?

It shows  IP address 97.128.x.x 

Subnet Mask255.255.255.252

DG97.128.x.x

it does also have IP6 

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2600:1003:b861:382a:3dbe:b1e1:364c:xxxx

Uh-huh, I sort of suspected it might be a Class A.

Since it is, why not use it (if you can)?  It avoids NAT/PAT issues.

"I also have router 2800 series and I want to get internet connectivity.. I can configure the NAT right?"

Probably can, but for more than one host Internet connectivity you'll likely want PAT, and you might run into issues if your IOS is old.  (I recall at the time the 2800 were "current", their PAT capabilities fell short in many protocol fix up needs.)

So this is a public IP address

0..127.x.x.x are public IPs except for 10.x.x.x.

there is problem that verizon device IP address keeps changing it.. How to get the internet access if IP is getting changed everyday from verizon side

Generally, an ISP changing IP is provided via DHCP, and if using that protocol, this is not usually a problem.  I recall the 2800 ISRs did support DHCP on their routed interfaces (although might require some specific minimum IOS version).

The other approach is ask whether ISP can provide a "static" IP (often with additional cost).

stephonhoker
Level 1
Level 1

It's great to hear that you're diving into CCNA and setting up your own test environment!

Regarding the Verizon router displaying a public IP address, it's possible that the Verizon router is configured to operate in a different mode or it's directly passing through the public IP. This behavior can vary depending on the specific settings and configurations of the router.

As for your Cisco 2800 series router, yes, you can configure Network Address Translation (NAT) to enable internet connectivity. NAT is a common technique used to map private IP addresses to a single public IP, allowing multiple devices on a private network to share the same internet connection.

Sounds like you're making excellent progress in your CCNA studies and practical application. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Happy learning!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card