Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan access port on ASR9000

tona_2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Someone, knows how to create a vlan access port on ASR9000?

I want to connect a server to the ASR9000, but i don't know how to configure the port as access.

I have configured a bridge-group & bridge domain

thnks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Are you trying to use ASR9006 like a switch with switchport command? ASR is a router and doesn't support Layer 3 SVI interfaces. There is no concept of a vlan access port in ASR9K.

Bridge domains in ASR are used for VPLS

You could potentially try something like this, but you can't tie it to a Layer 3 interface. One way to do it is to run a network cable from one port (part of bridge group) to another port on the same ASR9000 and make that second port Layer 3 with an IP address

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/1

l2transport

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/2

l2transport

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/3

l2transport

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/4

l2transport

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/5

l2transport

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/6

l2transport

!

l2vpn

bridge group 1

bridge-domain VLAN1

bridge group 2

bridge-domain VLAN2

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Are you trying to use ASR9006 like a switch with switchport command? ASR is a router and doesn't support Layer 3 SVI interfaces. There is no concept of a vlan access port in ASR9K.

Bridge domains in ASR are used for VPLS

You could potentially try something like this, but you can't tie it to a Layer 3 interface. One way to do it is to run a network cable from one port (part of bridge group) to another port on the same ASR9000 and make that second port Layer 3 with an IP address

l2transport

!

l2transport

!

l2transport

!

l2transport

!

l2transport

!

l2transport

!

l2vpn

bridge group 1

bridge-domain VLAN1

bridge group 2

bridge-domain VLAN2

Ok  Roman, i understand, so i only need to configured the port in l2transport mode and associate to a bridge domain, right?

Now, if i have an etherchannel or bundle-ethernet with 2 10 ge ports, the configuration could be as follow:

interface bundle-ether 1

l2transport

!

interface TenGigE0/0/0/6

l2transport

bundle id 1 mode on

interface TenGigE0/0/0/7

l2transport

bundle id 1 mode on

!

l2vpn

bridge group 1

bridge-domain VLAN1

interface bundle-ether1

interface TenGigE0/0/0/6 

interface TenGigE0/0/0/7

Can you help me, if the configuration is correct?

thanks

Hmmm, yes, I believe that should work.

Why are you using ASR9000 for server connectivity?

it doesn't work. any other suggestion?

The customer needs to connect a supercomputer server directly to the ASR, for high performance.

thnks

try removing "l2transport" from individual interfaces, and remove individual interfaces from the bridge domain

By the way, are you able to get them to talk without port channels on individual interfaces?

Hi Roman.

I could do, the following tests:

1.- A bundle-ethernet between the server & ASR in layer 3, and works fine!!!

With this configuration , i could ping the ip address server, with no problem.

2.-The second test was: a physical single port connected to the server, and the configuration doesn't work. I  only put the l2transport to the interface. and assocate it to the bridge group an bridge domain, like your example.

any idea?

When you do this test:

---------

2.-The second test was: a physical single port connected to the server, and the configuration doesn't work. I  only put the l2transport to the interface. and assocate it to the bridge group an bridge domain, like your example.

---------

can you paste here full configurtaion?

by the way, here's Cisco's example of how to setup "a simple L2 switch":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.0/lxvpn/configuration/guide/lesc40p2mps.html#wp1274138

Hi Roman,

Thanks for the link. I followed the example, but i don't get success.

I attach you the complete scenario (archive .pdf). in this archive, you will find the tests and configuration that i have on the ASR. I only can get ping, between 2 sw 3560 in the same vlan.

I think, could be the tagged or untagged packets in the bundle-ether 1. i tested with an encapsulation untagged bundle-ether 1, but doesn't work, too.

I don't know, if there is a restriction, and only can configure trunk ports on ASR.

Any idea?

thnks

how sure are you that your supercomputer supports port channeling? are you sure it's setup for LAG? maybe it's active/standby setup. What happens if you connect it just with one link?

Hi roman,

Thanks for your time, and for the link. I could resolve the problem. The problem was the link between the 2 ASR, they need to be untagged.

Best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card