Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN and MPLS

Beaurr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

my central site is linked to several other sites with an operator link in MPLS VPN. I don't have control over the operator's VPN routers. The main site has many VLANs configured on switch L3 (VTP server).

For the moment, the other sites do not have  vlan. I would like to create some (on the VTP server) and send them to remote sites (via MPLS links). Is this possible, if so, how?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the MPLS LinK, is this layer 2 or Layer 3 ?

yes this is Layer 2 you can extend technically (others can be VTP clients)

If this Layer 3, the beyond Layer 2 domain, so not possile to extend Layer 2 domain to other site.

May be you need to Look L2VPN on top of MPLS

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically, yes, MPLS can support L2 across it.

However, as noted by Balaji, it depends on what a particular MPLS cloud operator provides.  Sometimes you need to shop for such an operator that will support your network requirements.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Beaurr ,

as already noted it depends on the type of MPLS service:

if it is an MPLS L3 VPN you cannot use it to extend VLANs between sites

if it is an MPLS L2 VPN VPLS port based you can extend multiple VLANs over multiple sites.

If it is an MPLS L2 VPLS using and expecting a single VLAN -ID you would need to implement 802.1Q tunneling Q in Q

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello,
thanks for the answers.

it is an MPLS L3 VPN

it is an MPLS L3 VPN

f this Layer 3, the beyond Layer 2 domain, so not possible to extend Layer 2 domain to another site.

Maybe you need to Look at L2VPN on top of MPLS

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

If this is not possible, what are the solutions to be able to make the sites communicate with each other?
Currently I am using static routes for these different sites. But I want the main site wifi network to be able to be used at remote sites.
I also want to switch these different sites to VOIP. Currently, on these remote sites, there is no vlan and only one different subnetwork per site.
I would like to create a Wifi network, a VOIP network and a DATA network, each with their own subnetwork and be able to apply QOS to them.
So, to do that, I have to do static routing on all the sites (by adding a router per site or by changing the L2 switch to an L3)?

Or, ask our operator to create several VRFs per site? One per subnet?

Hello @Beaurr ,

now that you have explained your needs it is clear that you don't need to extend any VLAN between sites.

You will need to add a VLAN and IP subnet for VOIP and one VLAN and IP subnet for WIFI.

you don't need to create three different VRFs,  you just need to add static routes on your CE SP facing devices.

For increased security you might use a  different VRF for VOIP using VLAN subinterfaces on the  PE-CE link to create two logical links.

Of course if  using static routes as PE-CE protocol in L3 VPN you need to inform the SP that each site witll have two additional subnets and you need to provide what are the subnets you add at each site.

>> by adding a router per site or by changing the L2 switch to an L3

A L3 switch is cheaper and it has more performance to do inter VLAN routing.

A router would be needed only if Internet access is local to each remote site and so a need for NAT would arise.

If access to tihe internet is done only at the central site L3 switches can be enough at remote sites.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you very much for your answers.
I have an appointment with my ISP sales representative on Thursday. I'll see what he offers me.
I will come back here to give you a feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: