Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Method Manual

Joy3
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo,

I have an interface VLAN configured for WLAN users. The VLAN method shows MANUAL but the clients do not get an IP address. This is the only switch whose VLAN is in MANUAL method (the rest are NVRAM and the users of the other switches get an IP address). Could this really be the problem why the users do not get an IP address? And how can this be fixed?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The VLAN method shows MANUAL

Where does this shows ? on what device can you post example output ?

but the clients do not get an IP address. 

client connect to Switch or Client connecting to wireless not getting IP - this is not clear ?

you need to provide about your environment for us to understand the issue ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joy3
Level 1
Level 1

Hallo @balaji.bandi

Where does this shows ? on what device can you post example output ?

It shows on the switch that the APs are connected to as below:

vlan3 10.x.x.x yes manual up up

vlan4 10.x.x.x yes NVRAM up up

client connect to Switch or Client connecting to wireless not getting IP - this is not clear ?

Clients connected to the APs. The APs all get an IP address and the ping to the DHCP server from the switch is 100%. Let me know if you need more info.

ok now i get it - as @paul driver given information about manual, that make sense and agree with that.

Clients connected to the APs. The APs all get an IP address and the ping to the DHCP server from the switch is 100%. Let me know if you need more info.

what VLAN AP connnected and what is the IP address AP get ?

The question here is the clients not getting ip address from DHCP Server - so this required to check how your SSID and WLAN configure.

is the AP registered with WLC ?

is this only 1 WLAN, or you have any other working as expected ?

what AP Model and WLC you have ?

check DHCP config :

https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/dhcp-with-the-wlc/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@Joy3 wrote:

Hallo,

I have an interface VLAN configured for WLAN users. The VLAN method shows MANUAL but the clients do not get an IP address. This is the only switch whose VLAN is in MANUAL method (the rest are NVRAM and the users of the other switches get an IP address). Could this really be the problem why the users do not get an IP address? And how can this be fixed?

No it justs mean that that specific vlan has been created after the switch last rebooted/powered up.

As for clients not receiving dhcp allocation, It hard to say not enough information provided.
Check if there is in fact a dhcp scope actually created or that vlan related l3 interface (if any) requires an ip helper address to relay dhcp requests towards the dhcp server?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

JoyWN,

Manual indicates that a VLAN was created manually since the last boot. NVRAM means that a VLAN was automatically loaded from NVRAM on the last boot.

Verify the IP addresses in the DHCP Pool are correct for the VLAN.

Configure static IP addresses on a host (in affected VLAN) and try to ping its gateway and DHCP.

Also, follow the recommendations given by @paul driver.

Please provide network topology.

HTH
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card