cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice and Data Convergence

dacruzer1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure if this is the right community to ask this question but anyways...

We are in the process of converging our voice link into our data line.  We currently have 10MB Ethernet data link between our remote sites and they are coming in to a CISCO 7206 router.  Management wants to converge the current T1 voice line between those remote sites into the 10MB Ethernet data link.  Will I need to purchase a seperate equipment with what we already have?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alfred

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you need to buy, install and configure voice gateway for the T1 circuit.

Do not try to do this alone, seek assiatnace from a reputable consultant or ceritfied Cisco partner.

JoeKeegan3
Level 1
Level 1
Duplicate Post

JoeKeegan3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alfred,

There are many considerations you need to take into account when designing for a VoIP deployment. Your question is pretty vague as is your description about your situation and what you plan on deploying.

From what I can gather you have two offices which are connected by a 10Mb circuit, presumably Ethernet, and they are also connected via a Voice T1. I assume this is some sort of trunk between existing PBXs?

Are you looking to deploy a Cisco Voice Solution or are you just looking to have your PBXs trunk over VoIP as opposed to the T1?

In either case the 10Mb circuit most likely can carry your voice traffic and you could get rid of the T1, but as I stated there are many things you need to consider such as:

• How many calls do you need to support between the      sites?
  • What Codec will you use? (This plus the above will      determine the required bandwidth)
  • What will do Call Admission Control (CAC)? (To ensure      you don't go above the bandwidth determine above)
  • QoS Configuration, both on your side and if it's a      multi-point solution on the provider side
  • What happens when the connection between the offices go      down, will you need SRST?

Voice is a very demanding network application and as the other poster mentioned you should seek help from professionals who specialize in this type of work.

Joe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card