Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF Loadbalace

goutam_04
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

my CE router is connected to two PE routers in Provider edge in MPLS VPN. I need to configure my CE router to forwared traffic to PE1 router as primary and PE2 as secondary. How do I configure in MPLS VRF. Please help me.

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If it's just a question of preferring one path rather than another, you usually generally do that with routing metrics. When you bring VRF into the situation, you often try to keep the two routing domains separate (although it's possible to move traffic between them). Could you further clarify what you are trying to achieve? (I.e. why you believe you need VRF.)

patrickvanham
Level 1
Level 1

Normally you wouldn't need to do anything with vrf's when the provider has MPLS PE routers. The CE is in this case a normal layer 3 device and you can set it up as any other router. Since the provider has an MPLS backbone and PE routers it's more than likely he already has BGP in place. He can control which PE is primary if you set up BGP as well by using metrics

Just for your information i have said that there is MPLS link in PE router.

in my CE router EIGRP is going to implement. and I have two upstream link. So I want to configure one is primary and another is secondary. What should I change in EIGRP to make that.

EIGRP will not be used by any provider. If, as I suspect, the SP hands off a standard L3 link it should be easy to configure. However, most providers in these cases prefer BGP since that gives them the necessary routing information. If you have no AS you can use any private ASN. You can import the EIGRP routes in BGP, although you may want to filter what to import with a route-filter.

Not many providers are willing to accept EIGRP.

Hello Goutam,

you have EIGRP as PE-CE protocol.

with EIGRP the best way to make one link secondary is to increase delay on interface to PE2.

int type x/y

delay 10000

This should be enough to make all routes coming from PE1 preferred and used when available.

EIGRP metric is cumulative in delay and inverse proportional to lowest BW in the path so changing the delay is the best way to manipulate metric.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Thanks....this i wanted to know...thanks

And another one question. I have two CE routers connection with two different PE routers.

The protocol is EIGRP same.

In this case, what should I configure to make the CE1 is the primary and CE2 is the secondary.

Hello Goutam,

in this case you should increase delay on CE2 interface to PE2.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

gthermaenius
Level 1
Level 1

Well if you want to loadbalance you need to add the command traffic-share balanced in your eigrp config. If your links have unequal costs you should also add "variance ". But you should check with your provider to avoid suboptimal routing on your return traffic.

Hi, its not actually load balance, its like a redundancy....becasue of I want to configure one of my link will be primary and other on will be secondary....

So in this case all traffice will pass by primary router as its up, if the primary link goes down then only the secondary link will take the active role.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card