cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP issue

Salman-Abbasi
Level 1
Level 1

Facing issue with VRRP, when upstream router5 initiate traffic for downstream router6 then return traffic is not following VRRP VIP as Gateway. In my case switch2 is master and switch3 is standby.

If Router6 initiate the traffic then VRRP working fine.

13 Replies 13

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Salman-Abbasi 

Do you check the MAC address table on the switches to confirm that the MAC address associated with the VRRP VIP is properly learned and forwarded to the appropriate switch port ?

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hello M02@rt37

VIP vmac address is learned by swithc1 on port Gi0/2 which is connected master.

Best Regards

This normal 

You need to add l3 link between two vrrp l3SW and use this link to config static route for any subnet behind R5 and R6 (one static route in each vrrp l3SW)

MHM

Hi,

Why i need L3 link between two VRRP switches as I already configured L3 interfaces between both VRRP switches. And Upsteam and downstream both Routers are directly connectly with Switch3 then why need static route. 

When Router6 reply back to Router5 then router6 use VIP as a gateway and it will be dropped at Master switch (Switch1). This is not happening in my case.

Regards

Salman

Add l3 link 

And it not necessary static route it can be ospf or eigrp run in all routers and vrrp l3sw.

Do that and check again 

MHM

Hi,

See when Router5 initiate traffic then traffic reached at Router6 and at the time of return traffic it will do to VRRP master switch (Switch2) but this is not happening.

My only question why at the time of return traffic router6 not going towards VIP as a gateway. Even on switch1 VMAC is getting from master switch (swicth2).

For routing protocol i understand the switch2 should be routes towards router5.

Regards

Salman

+919871873874  

Let me see

Show vrrp

Show mac in SW

MHM

Hello MHM Cisco World,

check the attached logs

Disable icmp redirect in l3SW2' 

And check' it must know return use l3SW2 butnif this SW dont have route to Router then the ping is drop

MHM

Still having issue

In vios6 

Did you disable ip routing 

And config 

Ip defualt gw point to VIP or VRRP

MHM

Hello MHM Cisco World,

Issue resolved thanks for your support.

Disabled the IP ICMP redirect on Router6 then return traffic is going via VIP .

You are so so welcome 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card