Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Configuration

azmath.hk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I'm new to this group, so please co-operate me if i doing any wrong thigs, Thanks for your understanding.

Recently we have lost VTP configuration from CAT6509 switch. let me tell you briefly we had power shutdown in our building and we switched off all Catalyst 6500 switches and as soon as power on we were switching on the devices but in one CAT6509 we discour all ports are in inactive mode and ports led was amber in all ports then we discover that VTP mode is server in the switch where it has to be as a client. Later we solve the problem now everything is back to normal.....but i have the following concern.

Hello Ibrahim,

According to my colleague the same switch has been lost its configuration long back and they were trying to look for it in the switch’s NVRAM but did not found, So, We would like to know that where the configuration stored in CATOS switch environment, is there any way to see it? As this is very important issue for us. Furthermore, still we have not found any known cause for the problem.

Regards,

Azmath Khan.

3 Replies 3

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

hello khan,

the configurations ofthe switch are stored on NVRAM.. what exactly was your problem.. was all the vlan information lost in that 6509 ??? changing the vtp status will not remove the vlans on the switch, unless that switch is newly introduced with absolutely no vlans on its vlan.dat file... vtp will just propagate any new vlan information between the switches...

hope u got it.. what did you do to solve the issue... check for any bugs on the IOS.. do let us know if you need any more info..

HTH

Raj

Hi Raj,

Thanks for your reply. For sure configuration always stored in NVRAM, but my question was how we can see configuration in Catalyst switch (CATOS)? As its saves configuration automatically, where as in IOS environment we have to save it and we can see that configuration file by typing command.

Regarding our problem we had power shutdown scheduled and when it comes up The switch lost its VTP configuration as it was running as a client after power up in the building we bring up this switch and found all ports were in inactive mode and it was running as a server where it supposed to be a client because we already have different CAT switch which is running as a VTP server in our network but later on we have changed the configuration to a client and since then its working fine. So my questions are the following

1.How we can see configuration file which stored in

NVRAM in CATOS?

2.Why its lost the VTP configuration when power come

up?

According to my colleague the same switch lost its configuration long back that is why we are investigating the cause of this problem. So please help us out if you can….

Your co-operation will be highly appreciated…

Regards,

Azmath Khan.

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

hello khan,

the configurations ofthe switch are stored on NVRAM.. what exactly was your problem.. was all the vlan information lost in that 6509 ??? changing the vtp status will not remove the vlans on the switch, unless that switch is newly introduced with absolutely no vlans on its vlan.dat file... vtp will just propagate any new vlan information between the switches...

hope u got it.. what did you do to solve the issue... check for any bugs on the IOS.. do let us know if you need any more info..

HTH

Raj

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card