cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTY session disconnects during debug

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I encounteresd this years ago and do not remember what the problem or solution was.

Have a Putty vty session established to a remote router, launch a debug that is populating the session with a lot of text, then suddenly, the session disconnects.

I cannot recall what the problem was, but I am thinking it had to do with a character in the session that the emulator didn't like.

Is anyone familiar with what I am describing?        

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If using SSH, that's kind of normal.

Use telnet instead.

I wonder if the problem might be the inactivity timer on the vty. The putty session may be receiving lots of output data, but if there is no input (which is usually the case when you are just watching the debug output) then the inactivity timer kicks in and terminates the session.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

No. Typically happens in less than one second after one stars debuggig ro dumping config, etc.

CSCsd98525

Symptoms: An SSH version 2 (SSHv2) session is terminated prematurely.

Conditions: This symptom is observed when large chunks of data are transferred in the SSHv2 session, for example, when the show tech command is entered and the command output is transferred in the SSHv2 session.

Workaround: Use SSH version 1.

Bug description says fixed in 15.0 and onward , but I've seen the problem with later versions too.

gherbstman
Level 1
Level 1

We are also seeing this problem in recent 15.x versions of IOS.

This is an annoying long term problem and needs to be fixed.

Byte Solutions, Managed Computer Services
https://www.bytesolutions.com 561.338.9696
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card