cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN bandwidth

shanemcanuff
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 200 Mbps link between two sites, I want to know how can I know the total bandwidth that I am using?

6 Replies 6

ameya_oke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shane,

You can download Ethernet throuput utility from below link.

http://www.softoxi.com/ethernet-throughput-utility.html

This is an awsome tool which i usually use to check WAN up/down link speeds.

[PC1]-----RTR1<-------WanLink---->RTR2---[PC2]

You have to open port 5017 bidirectional on firewall if there is any in between.

HTH

Ameya

You have to install one copy each of this utility on both mentioned PCs.

When you  open this tool on PC1 you will find below options.

PC1 settings:

Scale: you have to specify the BW scale of your wan link.

In you case select 1Gb.

Connect : type IP of PC2

Now click "Run Sender" - basically this will start sending raw data on your Wan link.

PC2 settings:

Scale: sameasabove

Connect : type IP of PC1

Now click "Run Listner" - this will start receivingraw data on your Wan link.(data which PC1 is sending above)

HTH

Ameya

Also you can observe the  current bandwidth of the interface  with help of below IOS commands,

show interface | i rate from user-exec mode.

Before that you may opt to change the default load-interval to 30 seconds from 5 minutes for a better result with below interface config command.

(conf-if)# load-interval 30

You can also setup an SNMP monitoring tools like PRTG/Solar Winds and obtain per second graphical output of the Wan link under consideration.

We even use Netflow analyzer for detailed/application specific analysis of data travelling over the Wan link.

HTH.

Ameya

Ivan Krimmel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

as I understood the initial question the author wants to know the answer for is how to measure current utilization of the WAN link, rather to measure its highest capacity.

This can be achieved via the 'sh interface ' output, or with more fancy NetFlow outputs.

Regards,

Ivan.

i would say netflow with any free tool or cheap tool to buy from the Internet will give real time statistical data about the link utilization for example

also you can break it down per source destination, type of marking ..etc

http://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/netflow-reports.html

hope this help

Thanks a lot guys for the help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card