Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN - OSPF and LAN routing

wilson.jr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ALL,

I'm going to design deploy and manage WAN – OSPF (mostly edge routers) for big company with offices all over America (around 50). LAN is managed by local stuff. How I can protect WAN - OSPF routing table from learning wrong route entered on LAN by local stuff. My plan is to have AREA 0 only because of simplicity. Will multiple AREAs help or is there some other way that i can protect routing tables on edge routers

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't avoid routes entering your WAN Area 0. My suggestion is to use BGP for the WAN and OSPF for the LAN. With this design, you have better control in the route filtering process as you have to manually announce the OSPF LAN subnets in your BGP WAN router. You don't have that control with OSPF.

If you are still inclined to use OSPF, there is a dirty approach of using multiple OSPF process and redistribute between processes as needed.

Regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't avoid routes entering your WAN Area 0. My suggestion is to use BGP for the WAN and OSPF for the LAN. With this design, you have better control in the route filtering process as you have to manually announce the OSPF LAN subnets in your BGP WAN router. You don't have that control with OSPF.

If you are still inclined to use OSPF, there is a dirty approach of using multiple OSPF process and redistribute between processes as needed.

Regards,

Edison

Thank you for your imput. I have to use OSPF thought

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card