cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Want SSH access to router only via MGMT VRF/ interface, no other interfaces

pcweber
Level 1
Level 1

I dont want to accept SSH logins via the main VRF Gig interfaces at all. I only want remote SSH via GIG 0, the mgmt interface & configured MGMT VRF. I have tried an ACL blocking SSH and applying it to an outside WWW facing interface but trouble is it block all port 22 traffic flowing through the interface. Also, I realize I can create a source IP list ACL for access but security wants SSH remote access totally off and not processing SSH logins if possible on WWW facing interface.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @pcweber ,

you can apply an ACL under line vty 0 4 or whatever you have and you can define what source IP addresses are allowed to SSH to your device (when using a standard ACL in the access-class 11 in command)

As an alternative you can use an extended IP ACL that specifies the mgmt interface IP address as the only accepted destination.

Something like

access-list 122 permit tcp 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 host 10.20.20.25 eq 22

warning: when you make tests with ACLs on line vty try the effects by opening additional SSH sessions to the device to avoid to lock you out of it. Use the original session for all config changes and to check the current sessions with show users.

Edit:

you likely need an additional keyword

access-class 122 in vrf-also

see

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/vty-acl-weird-behaviour-with-vrf-c7200-vxr/td-p/2214290?dtid=osscdc000283

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @pcweber ,

you can apply an ACL under line vty 0 4 or whatever you have and you can define what source IP addresses are allowed to SSH to your device (when using a standard ACL in the access-class 11 in command)

As an alternative you can use an extended IP ACL that specifies the mgmt interface IP address as the only accepted destination.

Something like

access-list 122 permit tcp 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 host 10.20.20.25 eq 22

warning: when you make tests with ACLs on line vty try the effects by opening additional SSH sessions to the device to avoid to lock you out of it. Use the original session for all config changes and to check the current sessions with show users.

Edit:

you likely need an additional keyword

access-class 122 in vrf-also

see

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/vty-acl-weird-behaviour-with-vrf-c7200-vxr/td-p/2214290?dtid=osscdc000283

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Changing this line below...

access-class 16 in vrf-also

to this line bow achieved my goal! thanks

access-class 16 in vrfname Mgmt-intf

FYI, I have found some models/ versions of IOS dont have the below command.

access-class xx in vrfname Mgmt-intf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card