cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP Service Groups and Redirection

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

I understand the basic concept behind WCCPv2, but I'm having a difficult time grasping the concept of service groups and redirection. We are trying to use WCCP with Riverbed. Can someone provide me with an easy to understand explanation, link or video? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

"easy to understand WCCP explanation" is an oxymoron, I'm afraid :-)

It has always been a totally confusing thing for me without any clear documentation from Cisco :-((

But the file attached (page 29 especially) might help you a little (not available on CCO anymore).

HTH,

Milan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The concept is, if you use 'web-cache' the switch/router will simply intercept traffic destined to port 80 and redirect it to the WCCP device.

If you use service group, for instance service group 90, you must define that group in your WCCP device to tell the router/switch what ports to redirect traffic.

Service group 90 can be configured to redirect port 80 traffic but also other ports such as 443 (https) or 21 (ftp) for instance.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

"easy to understand WCCP explanation" is an oxymoron, I'm afraid :-)

It has always been a totally confusing thing for me without any clear documentation from Cisco :-((

But the file attached (page 29 especially) might help you a little (not available on CCO anymore).

HTH,

Milan

Thanks for the document Milan. I will spend the next couple of days reviewing it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card