cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does "output buffers swapped out" on serial int mean?

Rik Guyler
Level 1
Level 1

I've been troubleshooting a serial link problem and ran into a counter that I cannot find any documentation on: output buffers swapped out (full output of "show interface" included as an attachment).

Can anybody tell me what this counter indicates? Any links would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,

Rik

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

This occurs typically cbus architectures such as the 7500. Your router receives a packet into a fast buffer on the incoming interface, and CEF transfers a pointer to the buffer to the outgoing interface. These fast output buffers are transmitted in strictly FIFO fashion.

However, CEF places a limit to the number of fast buffers that the output interface can hold on to. It does this for two reasons: because you don't want to run out of fast buffers, and because they are effectively bypassing any fancy queueing you may have configured. You can see the limit if you do show controllers cbus and look out for the word "txlimit". You can also tune it (at your peril) with tx-queue-limit.

The point is that once that limit is reached, the interface swaps the contents of the fast buffer out to normal DRAM, from whence the normal queueing machanisms start to cut in. It's a bit like a PC paging sections of memory out to the swap file.

"Output buffers swapped out" is really nothing to worry about. It's just how many buffers have been told to wait in the proper queue rather than being transmitted right away. It only gets to be a problem if they get dropped off the tail of the normal queue. I see you have dropped 3191 packets in that way, and that may be more of a problem.

If you want to read more about it, there's lots of goodstuff in the CiscoPress book on IOS Internal Architecture.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin, you hit it on the head...this is a 7500 router. Guess I should have mentioned that in the first post. ;-}

Thanks for the detailed info! I searched and searched on CCO but the search strings I used were found in so many docs with show interface output that I wasn't getting anything specific on that counter. The 3191 output drops I'm contributing to the original issue I've been working on so not so concerned with those at the moment unless they continue beyond resolving the current issue.

Thanks again!

Rik

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card