cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is difference when service-policy under interface and control-plane ?

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Dear All

The service-policy ... could be put under interface and control-plane. What is the difference between the two sites when service-policy is used ? Thank you 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Krishnendu AR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am not sure I understood your question correctly.

The service policy under the interface will affect the data plane of the device. Meaning, it will affect the packets that goes through the device.

The service policy at the control-plane is called CoPP. That will affect the packets that are destined toward the device. For example think of ICMP rating limiting towards a router.

Krishna

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An interface policy will target all packets that ingress or egress the interface (depending on policy direction - as you note).  This could be traffic that's transiting the device or to/from the device itself.

The CoPP policy targets packets directed to the device, from all sources.  This is somewhat similar to how a policy on a SVI would target packets from all its VLAN and trunk ports.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The service-policy ... could be put under interface and control-plane. What is the difference between the two sites when service-policy is used ?

What two sites?

Sorry that I did not express it clearly. 

We can see Service-policy is used to attach policy-map to interface. I also see service-policy is used under Control-plane, so I am asking difference of service-policy in the two sites( one is under the interface and another is control-plane) 

As Krishnendu said, "The service policy at the control-plane is called CoPP. That will affect the packets that are destined toward the device." Can I consider it affect inbound packet ? 

And "The service policy under the interface will affect the data plane of the device. Meaning, it will affect the packets that goes through the device," That means it could be inbound or outbound ? It depends on key word, in and out ?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

An interface policy will target all packets that ingress or egress the interface (depending on policy direction - as you note).  This could be traffic that's transiting the device or to/from the device itself.

The CoPP policy targets packets directed to the device, from all sources.  This is somewhat similar to how a policy on a SVI would target packets from all its VLAN and trunk ports.

Please check the below configurations:

Router#sh run int Se1/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 323 bytes
!
interface Serial1/0
 ip address x.x.x.xx 255.255.255.252
 ip flow ingress
 ip flow egress
 service-policy input QoS-INBOUND
 service-policy output QoS-OUTBOUND

end

Router(config)#control-plane
Router(config-cp)#service-policy ?
  input   Assign policy-map to the input of an interface
  output  Assign policy-map to the output of an interface

type    type of the policy-map

You can see that both at control-plane and at the interface level you can specify the direction of the policy-map.

Hope this cleared your query.

Krishna

Krishnendu AR
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am not sure I understood your question correctly.

The service policy under the interface will affect the data plane of the device. Meaning, it will affect the packets that goes through the device.

The service policy at the control-plane is called CoPP. That will affect the packets that are destined toward the device. For example think of ICMP rating limiting towards a router.

Krishna

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card