cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When the PC on the remote location is turn off the local printer on the network is no longer accessible.

TechGuy429
Level 1
Level 1

Good day Cisco community,
Needing some pointers please, or would like an expert opinion which i hope to understand... :)

I have over 50 Cisco 837 routers having a vpn tunnel running on Cisco IOS ver 12.4.
These routers connect with a Cisco 2800 series router on a static public IP to computers
on it's local subnet. At least i think based on my mentioned access-list below

The Cisco 837 routers vpn tunnel are configured on interface ethernet2 running on fast ethernet port 4 with
only a pc connected on this port. This pc will then connect with the rest of the network through the Cisco 2800
series router.

Now, i can make some sense of this single computer configured on the vpn tunnel using these Cisco 837 routers
to match access-list 115, which seems to allow the pc on the Cisco 837 router access to any computer on the local
network to the Cisco 2800 series router. As an example of the 115 access-list
"10 permit ip 192.16.36.0 0.0.0.255 192.17.160.0 0.0.1.255 "

My first question:
looking at this 115 access-list example, does it allow the single pc on the Cisco 837 router access to any of
the computers on local subnet through the Cisco 2800 series router?

Second question:
If the answer is yes, then the following is puzzling to me, as everything works fine with the setup except for
a little change on the local subnet on the the Cisco 837 router end. An 8 port desktop switch has now been added
to accommodate a printer. The printer is now on the same subnet(ip, subnet and gateway) as the pc, however when the pc
is turned off or removed from the network i can no longer access (ping or http) the printer. Does this make sense?

Third question:
I am so puzzled with this setup, based on the access-list mentioned could it be altered so that regardless of whether the
pc is off or taken away for repairs, the printer could still be remotely accessed?

Sorry about the lengthy write-up but its the best way i can describe it :|

looking forward to some pointers...

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this printer ethernet based or USB based connected to PC ?

below ACL only tell what is source IP to connect to Destination :

115 access-list "10 permit ip 192.16.36.0 0.0.0.255 192.17.160.0 0.0.1.255 "

Suggest to post full configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card